In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 Mag Carbine ruger price

tinmantinman Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a neighbor that is willing to sell his .44 mag carbine with a simmons 3-9X scope for $400.00 and am wondering if that is too steep of a price or not? Said he bought it new in 1976 killed many a deer.
Thanks
Tinman

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Tinman,
    I have one of these old Rugers, and it's a pain in the butt if you want my opinion. They are hard to load, hard to unload and everyone I've been around has had to have REAL HOT ammo to make the action cycle. I used to mark all the rounds I loaded for mine so I wouldn't shoot them in my handguns. They are one of the very few guns that Ruger screwed up. That said, $400.00 is about right with a lowend scope, if it's in good shape. Blue Book says $350.00 for 90% gun.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As W.D. said they are more difficult to load as they have a tube magazine. I have one of the new "Deerfield" guns that uses a detachable mags.

If the gun in question is in good shape the $400.00 is a reasonable price.
  • Options
    golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it has a red pad add at least 50. These guns have been getting 400-450 by dealers at the auction houses
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I'd get it at that price...

Yes, the tube mag is a pain. Yes, you can only use jacketed bullets at close to full power (I have no probs with factory ammo in mine... but I need to start reloading...). Other than that, they are great. Only complaint about mine is that I let the wife shoot it and now she thinks it is hers...
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    I think the older Ruger .44 Magnum carbine with the tube magazine is a unique and classic gun.

I would very quickly buy it for $400 if it is not all banged up and has been well-taken care of. Look at it carefully and also examine the tube magazine for dents. If he has any ammo, load the maazine full and cycle the gun by hand until all the ammo is ejected. ....All usual warnings apply.... A dented magazine isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but other issues with the gun may steer you away from it.

I would not scope the gun, but that's your choice. If you aren't interested in the scope, ask him how much without the scope.

Whatever he says, if the gun's in decent shape, buy it immediately! I don't think you will be sorry, once you know what it likes to eat.