In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

converting a Win 1890 to a .17 cal

Terrell GrantTerrell Grant Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I want to know if I can comvert a Win 1890 over to a .17 cal. I can reline a 1890, I have done several, my real ? is what about the carrier? Can it be milled or altered to except a .17 round.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends on what carrier is in the gun now. If it is a 22LR, then you should be set to go with the 17M2. I would not try to do the 17HMR though.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Terrell,

Yes, you can most likely convert a Model 1890 for the 17HMR or 17M2 cartridges, but I personally will advise against it for a couple of reasons;

1. The Model 1890 was designed for low-pressure (black powder) rim fire cartridges. The 17HMR is not a low-pressure cartridge. It opearates in the same pressure range as the 22 WMR (22K - 25.6K).

2. Converting a "collectable" rifle to a modern cartridge is not going to help the value of the gun. You would be better off (value wise) relining the bore back to its original factory chamber.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur. The 17M2 is a pretty high pressure round for a rimfire. At the very least it will beat the action into excess headspace in relatively few rounds.
  • Options
    Terrell GrantTerrell Grant Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a 22 WRF and not a black powder rifle
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Terrell Grant
    It is a 22 WRF and not a black powder rifle

The poster was saying that although your rifle is nitro proofed, it fired cartridges that carried over from the black powder era, cartridges that are low pressure.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Terrell,

Regardless of which cartridge a Model 1890 is chambered for, it was originally designed for black powder pressures. Winchester did transition to semi-smokeless and to smokeless powder shortly after the turn-of-the century, but those powders created pressures that were essnetially identical black powder.

The 22 WMR was introduced in 1959, and it has more slightly than double the pressure of the older .22 rimfire cartridges. As I mentioned earlier, the 17 HMR is on par with the 22 WMR as it pertains to the chamber pressure. Frankly, the 17 HMR is best suited to a modern bolt-action rifle. It should not be attempted in an old slide-action rifle.