In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SAMCO .308 and/or 7.62 x 51

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any experience with this brand of ammo? Would you shot it in YOUR M1A?? Reading other posts here indicate that .308 and 7.62 are not the same round, but here they are advertized as being the same?
This is from SAMCO's webiste:
Mfg. Sellier & Bellot, Czech, 1980-1983 FMJ, C/BE Brass cases
Commercially packed 20 rounds per box
They have these, in 20 round boxes, available at the local sporting goods cha1n (Dunhams)for a comparatively decent price. I bought 2 on impulse, and then had second thoughts.
Anyone have any experience with this manufacturer?
thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is good ammo.
    A bit dirty on the powder.
    But it is berdan primed so essentially no reloading the brass.

CP
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    it is corrosive ammo
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's the stuff found in the blue-green US-type commercial boxes w/ black printing, then it's great - but corrosive as all hell (did NOT run it thru my M1A). Unlike cper above, I did found it clean-burning. Add: accurate, consistent, etc.
  • Options
    82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the input....now, next question...not to sound like I am retarded, but if I clean the weapon after each range date, what are the long term concerns with the "corrosive" powder?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never used the ammo in question, but I have done business with SAMCO before. . .lets just say I've found their customer service to be variable.

The "C/BE" means ammo with corrosive Berdan primers.

As mentioned Berdan primers are a type (most popular in Europe) that that can't easily be reloaded, because the primer flash-hole design makes it difficult to remove the old primers.

Now, it actually *IS* possible to reload them, IF you have special tools, are willing to work harder, and can find Berdan primers to reload them with (that's not so easy). This *might* be worth the effort involved to reload cases that are extremely scarce and/or not in current production, but for most shooters it isn't worth the bother.

On "corrosive", the powder isn't corrosive, its the primers.

In practice, if you carefully take your gun apart and clean it after shooting the corrosive ammo, you won't have issues with corrosion.

Depending on what gun you're shooting, this can be trivial, or difficult.