In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR Cal

fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of adding a different caliber, so in the AR config, what would you choose a an all around caliber?
.233/5.56

Ok Guys give it to me.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    There is a guy on falfiles.com that is doing one in 7.6?x25 to take advantage of the cases of cheap surplus he could get (6 cents/round)
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well first off there are about 50 calibers that are now common to the AR. You dont say what you have now or what you want the new round for, this will make a big difference.

My current favorite is the .300 Whisper. I am in the process of fine tuning mine right now. Something about a 220gr .30 Cal bullet coming out very quiet and having a very hard impact is very cool to me.

I also really enjoy the price of shooting my dedicated .22 cal AR too. Doesnt have the punch of some of the others but it is still AR shooting.

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

The .300 Whisper has one very specific intention and that is to take out sentries at medium ranges. It pushes a 240 gr. SMK out at just under the speed of sound 1050-1110 fps. So, in truth it doesn't provide any more close range knockdown than a .45 ACP does. It drops around 5 ft. @ 300... So unless you specialize in that type thing (can't know why??) that, IMO, isn't a good choice.

It carries a lot more energy then a .45 ACP. It carries way more energy then the .223. With the .223 my 100 yard plates just swing a little bit but with the .300 the plate will completely flip over. I would compare this to a .30-30 but quiet. If you choose to make super sonic loads then it is basically the same as the new .30 Remington.

It is very easy to pick up 100 yard targets. I am shooting 220 GR Hornday SP's since they are way cheeper to shoot then SMK's and accuracy is the same. Drop is closer to 8' at 300 yards.

One guy I know that also has one took an Elk at 150 yards with his 2 years ago.

No this caliber is not for everyone but with no info to go on it was one of my suggestions. The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. I am planning on hunting with it this year.
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    There is a guy on falfiles.com that is doing one in 7.6?x25 to take advantage of the cases of cheap surplus he could get (6 cents/round)

That had already been done long before he started. It works great, and not a bad combination. The notorious muzzle flash of the toks should be a wake up call to the remaining energy/velocity that can be obtained by a longer barrel. To the tune of an extra 400 fps.
    If I can ever talk my friend out of it, I'll post some details, but having looked at it, it looks like a 7.62x39 ar upper/bolt with a gas piston set up. He's still working out the details, but it's looking good so far.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    check this out cwi, I gotta have one!
    http://www.msarinc.com/STGE4.html

Out of the three, get both a 5.56 and 6.8. Buy rifle in 6.8, and then buy an extra complete upper chambered in 5.56

6.8x43 remington SPC is a good pick.. I like this round because it is hard hitting and mags are cheap.. I picked up 10 blackened stainless Cproducts 25 round mags for 140.00.. Ammo is still kinda expensive but silver state can be found at a decent price. I have a cheapo upper right now. I am planning to get a better one once I find a system I really like.

EDIT
    Fishco, I guess you know that you can change cals in an AR-15 by switching uppers, Bolt, and mags/ammo right? With one AR-15 lower, you can switch between a dozen uppers in different cals in seconds.

Same deal with the new MSAR STG-E4. just by switching the barrel, bolt and mags, you can go between 5.45x39.5,5.56x45,6.8x43, and 7.62x39.. The MSAR also uses the same mags as AR-15 conversions.
  • Options
    fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be use foe defense, I would like something that has a half way common caliber and reasonable price per round. I have a 5.56/.223 now but am thinking of the 6.5 or 6.8. I would like to move to a gas operated gun.

I would not be opposed to going to something other than an AR.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One pass with a 6mm expanding plug creates a 6mmx45 in the 25-35 power category, making it legal in states prohibiting 22 cal for deer.
    The Whispers are interesting but being limited by the speed of sound, you have to go up in caliber and bullet weight for meaningful muzzle energy or you have a pistol caliber with a little better ballistic coefficient.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fishco,

I opted for the 6.5 Grendel. Between it and the 6.8 SPC there is hardly any difference in the short range ballistics. They are both about the same case capacity with the Grendel edging out by like 1 grain of water volume. The difference to me was that there are a bunch of high BC 6.5 bullets as opposed to one in 6.8 (.270) And, with those high BC bullets the 6.5 can load them out to touch and even seat into the lands when chambered. The 6.8 can't. Both are a vast improvement IMO over the 5.56. If you want home defense only then look at the .50 Beowulf or the .458 SOCOM. Specifically to produce a lot more power than what pistols in the same caliber can produce. But they aren't really long range cartridges if that's your thing.

The .300 Whisper has one very specific intention and that is to take out sentries at medium ranges. It pushes a 240 gr. SMK out at just under the speed of sound 1050-1110 fps. So, in truth it doesn't provide any more close range knockdown than a .45 ACP does. It drops around 5 ft. @ 300... So unless you specialize in that type thing (can't know why??) that, IMO, isn't a good choice.

Another overlooked possibility is the 6mm AR and 6mm AR Turbo. Basically the Grendel necked down to 6mm. The Turbo has the shoulder blown forward. Lighter faster bullets in this combo that will easily get to 1k
  • Options
    cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree on that one. It looks like a clone to the Steyr Aug
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    check this out cwi, I gotta have one!
    http://www.msarinc.com/STGE4.html

Out of the three, get both a 5.56 and 6.8. Buy rifle in 6.8, and then buy an extra complete upper chambered in 5.56

6.8x43 remington SPC is a good pick.. I like this round because it is hard hitting and mags are cheap.. I picked up 10 blackened stainless Cproducts 25 round mags for 140.00.. Ammo is still kinda expensive but silver state can be found at a decent price. I have a cheapo upper right now. I am planning to get a better one once I find a system I really like.

EDIT
    Fishco, I guess you know that you can change cals in an AR-15 by switching uppers, Bolt, and mags/ammo right? With one AR-15 lower, you can switch between a dozen uppers in different cals in seconds.

Same deal with the new MSAR STG-E4. just by switching the barrel, bolt and mags, you can go between 5.45x39.5,5.56x45,6.8x43, and 7.62x39.. The MSAR also uses the same mags as AR-15 conversions.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This just my opinion, BUT there are several caliber conversions for the AR which are less than useful except as conversation pieces. I jumped on the cheap ammo conversion wagon and blew a lot of bucks. Neither of the uppers I have (which are chambered for cheap foreign ammo) are even close to the accuracy of a similar .223. Cheap ammo is worthless if your range is limited to 50 yards. If I'm going to shoot that close, I'll use a 22lr. I'll be set if the zombies invade the midwest. On the upside, I've found the 7.62x39 can be pretty accurate if properly handloaded.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the 300 Whisper issue, the #00 Whisper is very comparable to the 7.62x39 with like bullet weights. Its design intention, like all members of the Whisper family was subsonic performance, with very heavy high ballistic coefficient bullets. It is a very good choice, and much better than the 6.8 SPC...kind of like the 270 Winchester/30-06 arguments.

For a real high performance round I say the 25WSSM, would be my choice.

Best