In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

odd day shooting

wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I needed to take a break from studying( college student) so i took my .270 outside to take a few shots. I ususaly dont fire my rifle at home so finding a spot was hard to do. I was shooting 50-55 yards on a slight decline, both my shots were 3 and 4 inches high ( off hand) I have never been this high, could this decline from my muzzel to target be the reason for the high shots or should i take a day and go out 2 a range and check things out. ( I would have said ok it was me but both shots were high)

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would personally set that rifle so it was 2" high at 100 yards. At the range you were at, and shooting down hill(or up hill at the same angle), the impact is going to be high...but how high? Since with the 2" high@100 yards, will usually give you a FLS(first line of sight) crossing around 25 yards, it might be an inch or so high, depending on how high your scope is above the centerline of your bore. I don't think it would be 3-4 inches high though.

Best
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well depending on what range you are sighted in at. Since the bullet travels in an arc if you are sighted in at 100 yards the high point of that arc is about 50 yards.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a normal .270 win bullet say like a 140 grainer at about 2800fps,
    and with a scope mounted with middle hite rings, if you are dead on at
    100 yards, you should be about a 1/2 inch LOW at fifty yards. That .270
    is fairly flat shooting and the bullet is still below the line of site
    at only fifty yards IF you have a scope on it. Here is a chart for the 130 grainer...Distance (yds) 50 100 150 200 250 300
    Short Trajectory (in.) -0.2 0.0 -0.8 -2.8 -6.1 -10.7
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only 2 shots?
    Might really be shooting high, might be coincidence. Shoot a 5 shot group at same distance and see what you get. If still centering 2" high at that range you really need to check it out at 100. (more or less depending on what your typical or max. shot is likely to be.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wvhunt,

Two shots will rarely prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt. Offhand can contribute to the aberrations. Here is an article about shooting uphill/downhill for your amusement and edification if you haven't read it before.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/33.cfm

I suggest a flat, level test with a good rest before getting concerned.

Best.
  • Options
    wvhuntwvhunt Member Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all, i plan on going to a range or out to the farm and shooting at 100yds off a rest and check things out. I plan on making sure my rifle is shooting about an inch high at 100 Yds, i dont plan on making to many shots where im at past 100 yards.