In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stainless steel lever action

tippmannlovertippmannlover Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking of getting a stainless steel lever action rifle. Is this a bad thing or is it better than the blued finish?

How should I clean the stainless steel? What chemicals or cleaning product should I use on it?

Thanks

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:better than the blued finish?

Better, like beauty, is largely in the eye of the beholder. It is relatively more impervious (though NOT corrosion proof), and more likely to reflect in the field, though matt stainless, less so.

Personally I like stainless, but don't have any stainless hunting rifles, except a 10/22.

You can clean it with any of the usual bore cleaners and lubricants.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Stainless is use largely for it durability in poor condition (mainly wet) and also somewhat for looks. As for cleaning just like any other gun.

There are also many stainless guns that have other color finishes on them.

I am not normally a huge fan of stainless stuff but I did pick on up last month. I had been looking for a .45-70 for a while and this one was in the right place at the right time with the right price. I do think I am going to get rid of the scope though.

DSC_0001.jpg
  • cwi555cwi555 Member Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tippmannlover
    I'm thinking of getting a stainless steel lever action rifle. Is this a bad thing or is it better than the blued finish?

How should I clean the stainless steel? What chemicals or cleaning product should I use on it?

Thanks

For lever actions, I like the Henrie's and Brass, but it's more of an aesthetic thing than mechanical. Nothing wrong at all with stainless, and as for the chemicals and cleaning agents, most of the standard ones will suffice. If I had to choose between stainless and blue, I'd pick the stainless simply due to it's corrosion resistance.
  • dirtyharry331dirtyharry331 Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought myself a Stainless EMF Hartford last year, 20" barrel, lever '92 model. It's great! Accurate & fun to shoot. Can use 38 specials. I plan on using mine when I move out west, New Mexico. Great little guns. There's a gunsmith that sells a DVD to smooth up the action or parts. Here's the link:
    http://stevesgunz.com/index.htm

My rifle is smooth but I want to "fine tune" it. Good luck in your search.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tippmannlover

Thanks

Stainless has one main advantage, which is corrosion resistance. Its "better" than blued if you prefer lower maintenance, or if you are likely to be working in a humid, salty (ie near the ocean) or other rust-prone environment.

Note that stainless steel *can* rust/corrode under the right (ie wrong) conditions, its just much more resistant.

Disadvantages of stainless are generally increased cost and some increased reflectivity (though the stainless can be given a matte or other finish to offset this).

Some people prefer the appearance of blued steel, though this is subjective. Obviously, if you are after historical accuracy in your lever gun, you won't want the appearance of stainless steel.

For what its worth, match-type rifle barrels are often made of stainless steel nowadays, though I don't think its fair to categorize the average stainless barrel as "more accurate".

In terms of how to clean it, any cleaning product you'd use on blued steel should work fine on stainless steel.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When considering purchase of a stainless steel firearm, one needs to be aware that although the barrel and receiver may be stainless, the internals of the action may not be. Even when kept well lubricated, stainless steel parts moving against each other under pressure can have a tendency to gaul or seize. Some makers use blued carbon steel, thus no more corrosion resistant than in an all blued gun. Others chrome plate the internals. Some of the more enlightened makers use a non-stainless, corrosion resistant alloy for the internals.