In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Olympic arms AR-15 question

quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I bought an olympic arms multi cal marked CAR/A3, the barrel isnt chromelined. I called Olympic arms and asked them if they have any tips on keeping it running, basically I was told shoot good quality ammo and clean it after each use.

They also informed me that they dont chromeline any of they're barrels..

What can I expect from this gun?

What is the max round count before malfunction?

Do you have any tips to keep it running longer?

Comments

• Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    QUICKMAJIK

I thought you to be some what of an AR expert. As far as the chrome lined barrel I understand that the unlined barrels are supposed to be more accurate and there are other companies that offer chrome lining as an option so it's not necessarily standard. Treat it as any other AR keep it clean and it will do you well. Yes and use good quality ammo, every manufacturer will tell you the same thing. Nobody warranties their guns if you tell them you use hand loads or for that matter if you had a problem and you told them that you were using Joe Bumfck ammo in it. They want you to burn up the good stuff. Is it a .223 or 5.56 chamber?? As far as expectations expect it to be like any other AR don't loose any sleep over it because it isn't chrome lined. Part of the problem in Vietnam was attributed to not having chrome lined barrels as over there in the jungles and all the humidity the chrome lined barrels aided some what in extraction.
    I don't think you plan on going into any jungles and shooting off 200-300 rounds in that type of situation. Malfunctions can happen to any gun at any time I wouldn't worry any more over this one compared to any other. Any brand name gun can be good or bad it is all in the luck of the draw. Good luck with your purchase it should last a life time.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Well, I know a little bit about Ar-15s, just not this particular carbine. It is chambered in 5.56, and I've been useing LC M193, It is very accurate.. I clean my guns often, so thats not an issue..

Mainly I'd just like to know of any tricks that could make it as reliable as possible.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Majikman...just like any other gun you treasure...clean it often. The Chrome lined barrels was to retard barrel/throat errosion, under sustained full auto fire. Winchester, and Browning started using that trick for the hard charging 223 WSSM, as it operates at extremely high pressures.

In essence, any barrel you wish to keep in service, even the Chrome lined ones, do not shoot hot or dirty, and especially a combination of both.

As for the rifle to stop functioning....the rifle will continue to function, even if you were to wear the rifling smooth...it just wouldn't be anywhere near accurate.

Best

Best
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Never had an issue wiht my Oly (bought in '91, stolen in '94) shot mostly the nasty ammonia smelling Norinco thru it. Had the 16" heavy barrel, very accurate.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Keep it clean and use good lube and ammo [;)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you play in the sand or live in Siberia, keeping plenty of lube on the bolt and carrier and some light lube on the fire control parts will give you good service. Bore care should include heat control and frequent cleaning.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    What can I expect from this gun?

That it will shoot.

quote:
    What is the max round count before malfunction?

That's impossible for anyone to predict. Some of these guns will run for thousands of rounds without a hiccup, many won't.

It will run a *LOT* longer without malfunctioning (eg potentially indefinitely) so long as you keep it clean, lubricated, and replace parts prone to malfunction every so often (EG the extractor, extractor spring, mags, etc).

I think the last bit is often overlooked. You wouldn't fly in an airplane that hasn't been inspected. If you know you are going to carry your gun into combat, you'd probably want to make sure all the parts are in good shape and up to spec on a relatively regular basis.

But if this is just a range-blaster. . .eh. . .

quote:
    Do you have any tips to keep it running longer?

See above.