In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Charter Arms 22

buckeyedavebuckeyedave Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello

The Browns won last night! Maybe this year they will play a whopping 500 ball!

My question is regarding shooting a Charter Arms 22 magnum. Is it ok to shoot 22LR in it?

Thanks, Dave

Comments

• Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless it came with two cylinders 22 LR and another in 22 Magnum no. A 22 LR fired in a 22 magnum chamber may rupture and hurl pieces of hot brass and hot gas that may injure you or others.
    (NO)

EvilDr235
  • Options
    buckeyedavebuckeyedave Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I haven't bought it yet. I thought maybe it was like a 357 where your could shoot 38's in it too. Maybe I will just buy a 22LR for some fun shooting plus my wife will shoot it too.

If I wanted to carry the 22 LR for protection it isn't there a round that has a better kick than a standard round?

Dave
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buckeyedave
    Thanks. I haven't bought it yet. I thought maybe it was like a 357 where your could shoot 38's in it too. Maybe I will just buy a 22LR for some fun shooting plus my wife will shoot it too.

If I wanted to carry the 22 LR for protection it isn't there a round that has a better kick than a standard round?

Dave

NO. Unless you count the .22 mag. But for .22LR, your best handgun defense round is the standard High (not hyper) velocity solid bullet.
    .22 Hp's tend to begin to fragment before achieveing desired penetration. For overall .22 Mag SP is best.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Dave

.22's aren't recommended as personal protection handguns. That said, lots of folks have been sent on a one way trip to boot hill by .22's over the years. CCI "Stingers" supposedly are the best medicine for two legged varmints, if all you got is a .22.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

Dave

.22's aren't recommended as personal protection handguns. That said, lots of folks have been sent on a one way trip to boot hill by .22's over the years. CCI "Stingers" supposedly are the best medicine for two legged varmints, if all you got is a .22.

Disagree. The abbreviated weight hollow points on Stingers are great for small game. But tend to fragment on impact before achieving desired penetration into larger game and humans. Especially on hman who are fat, heavily muscled, or wearing heavy clothing.
    And penetration is EVERYTHING when using a .22 for SD. What helps the .22sp be a deadly (as possible) SD round, is that it has velocity to enter the body. But largely expends that energy in doing so. Then lacking the energy to exit, it tends to riccochet around INSIDE the body to cause multiple vital organ wounds. But it's got to get INSIDE to do the damage.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How, pray tell, does not having energy to exit the body cause a bullet to riccochet around in the body?
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot two Eastern PA groundhogs with CCI Stingers fired from a 4" barrelled revolver at ranges of about 25 yards - both times the rounds passed completely through the ground hog, and I assume they did not explode or violently expand or the damn beasts wouldn't have tried to run away to their holes, before I hit them a few more times. Fired from a rifle, the Stinger would obviously be another story - that's what they were designed to be used in. Where did the theory of the underpowered .22 round rattling around inside a body get its origin? Is there any documentation to that effect? It doesn't seem likely to me, but then I've been wrong before and I've never shot anyone with a .22, just a few dozen gundsows and such.
    Getting back to the Charter Arms Question - CA made revolvers chambered for the .22lr/l/s or the .22 WMRF - they, to my knowledge, never made a model with interchageable cylinders. As already expressed - shooting a .22lr in a .22 mag chamber is foolhardy - the mag chamber is several thousandths larger in diameter.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,

Charter currently offers 62240 Target Pathfinder Combo with TWO cylinders:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pathfinder_combo_62240.html

Apparently, Charter was thinking of doing this for awhile. A guy on another forum was having some trouble with his .22LR version, so, Charter gave him a NEW gun ( in exchange for the "bad" one), along with the "pre-release" Magnum cylinder. Now, it is a standard item.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question is regarding shooting a Charter Arms 22 magnum. Is it ok to shoot 22LR in it?

While people sometimes do it, its really not safe to fire .22LR rounds from a magnum gun. The .22LR cases are smaller, and they will split on firing from a magnum chamber. Barring a life or death emergency, I wouldn't try it.

The only way this could be safe would be if the gun in question were a revolver with an interchangable .22LR cylinder.

As to the secondary debate on which .22 rounds make the best self-defense rounds, that's easy. . .they're all TERRIBLE.

Without rehashing what's already been written I agree that:

a. CCI stingers are actually a POOR choice for self-defense, as the combination of a slow-burning powder and light bullet used to get high velocity from a RIFLE, yields extremely poor terminal ballistics form a PISTOL. Good for groundhogs. . .bad for people.

b. High-velocity solid rounds probably are the best choice for a .22 as they ought to yield the best penetration, and that goes for .22LR or .22magnum.

c. .22 LR bullets *DO NOT* "ricochet around" inside the human torso. That's physiologically and ballistically implausible. Lead bullets aren't superballs, human tissue is soft, and .22s just don't carry much energy to begin with. Again, if a bullet doesn't have enough energy to exit the torso, then how is it going to have enough to cause multiple wound channels by bouncing around?

Its possible for one .22 (or any other bullet for that matter) to make multiple wound channels as it fragments hitting bone, but that's somewhat of a different thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never said they bounce around like Superballs. But my info comes from magazine article (Gun Tests) that reportely quoted police/military ballistic wound studies. And I'm quite certain that I read that .22SP bullets CAN and DO riccochet off bone inside a body. As well as fragment.
    I suppose it depends on angle etc.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (Gun Tests)
    There's your first problem....