In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CONTENDER

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
What year did thompson center contender come out? I have an earlier model 23-25 win 10" bbl with bushnell 2.5x scopes and TC shoulder holster. I never really could find any info or value on it. I bought 10 boxes of shells when i bought it in 1991 for 235.00, back then shells were 17.95 a box. My father bought a newer G1 and there is difference in the engraving of wolf and my has contoured grips, mine is just a little more detailed. It is pleasant to shoot. thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a
    TC contender with a 45/410
    barrel and 22 match barrel-$350.
    question is :what kind of
    accuracy can I expect out
    of the 45/410 barrel shooting
    45 colt.i have no interest in the 410
    ans do they sell 45 colt only barrels
    without the long chamber.
    Thanks--rong
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can I still find barrels for an octigon barrel contender

Jason Warner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to the local sporting goods store yesterday to look for a bow for my son for 4-H and went to check on any new arrivals in the gun department. I knew I shouldn't have but I did and found a T/C contender in .357 mag . It is in 98% condition with Pachmayer grip and fore end. Now I have had several contenders over the years and seem to get traded out of them and I would like to get another one. The deal is 260.00 out the door. What I would like to know is it has a Virgin Valley 12" blued barrel and is there any demand for these as I would like a larger cal. Thanks for any info....Bull[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are the barrels interchangeable between the Contender and the G2-Contender?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try shooting the barrel you have now with the specific load your interested to ascertain accuracy. As their are a number of different types of loads available now for the 45 LC, no way to tell how accurate your barrel will be with any specific one.

Both TC and aftermarket vendors make barrels in most any caliber for the TC. I even bought a original TC barrel in .45 ACP years ago.,
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to a company that makes Contender barrels - there are alot of chamberings: http://www.matchgrademachine.com/ There are quite a few companys out there that make barrels for the Contender & Encore, this is just one I've used pretty often.

But you're pretty close to the T/C shop in Rochester, they make barrels and you can get everything from 22 lr to 45/70 barrels for the Contender. You might want to visit the Kittery Trading Post, they always have alot of spare barrels for the Contender and the prices are pretty good, anywhere from about $125.00 on up.

I haven't used a 45 Colt out of the 45/410 barrel for a while. In general a longer jump through freebore space doesn't help accuracy. If you reload there is usually a separate section for the T/C in 45 Colt, you can go much hotter than normal when you're shooting out of the T/C as opposed to an old (or new) Colt SAA.

Edit: I knew I should have done a "don't stuff a 454 or 460 into the gun" post, I agree with the "don't do it" post below. The Contender isn't strong enough to handle the higher pressure of those cartridges with their much larger base. The Contender can handle higher pressure from smaller based cartriges such as the 223, but not something as large as the 454/460. Closest I can come is that T/C recommends using 28,000 cup 45/70 loads as max in that chambering, many reloading manuals allow 1895 Marlin pressure loads of 35,000. The 454/460 are way over that level.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your really feeling macho you can try capping some .454 Casulls or .460 S & W's in your barrel, if the chamber is long enough. The .460 is a sure thing for getting your heart pumping and eyes watering.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    If your really feeling macho you can try capping some .454 Casulls or .460 S & W's in your barrel, if the chamber is long enough. The .460 is a sure thing for getting your heart pumping and eyes watering.

Rufe,

Not so sure the 454 and 460 are a good idea. While the Contender G2 is strong, it is not as strong as the Encore. T/C does not chamber either of those two rounds in the G2 because of the pressures they operate at, and the back thrust they create against the breech face with the heavier bullets. I know they chamber the 45-70, but the operating pressures that are loaded by most manufacturers, are for the old Trap Door's.

Best
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rong,

I'd say you got the set-up for a .22lr at the right price and the 45/410 got thrown in on the deal.

If you like .45 Colt and don't want what you have then buy one in .45 Colt only. The barrel you have is going to do decent. Sometimes they actually do very well. You never know until you shoot it.

I'll say again what's been said before, if you have the contender don't get too wild with the pressures on big cases. Get an Encore for that.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    www.eabco.com has 45 Colt barrels for Contenders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys
    I would like to stick with a 45 colt
    only.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one from Thompson Center, bought it last year. It must have been cheaper than the other places or I would have bought somewhere else.