In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 70

zomeczomec Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased my first Model 70. I'm really impressed! I am thinking about another one in a synthetic stock for heavy woods and brush. I like the pre 64 bolt. Can anyone tell me what Serial # is the break on the action. Where does the new/old style start. I was told they started in 94 making the pre64 design again. Any help appreciated. Where did the pre-64s serials stop at. or a web sight that gives me the Numbers. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Picked up a Winchester MOdel 70 today. Something to maybe shoot some varmints. Anyway was wondering about a DOM, serial number# G1130xx It also says 375 H&H Mag, super express.

Any help is greatly appreciated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone, first time poster, been lurking awhile but really enjoy the info given here so I thougth would register and join in.
    I have a question and would like to hear anyones answer or opinion.

Several years back I bought a Winchester model 70 in .270 from Wal-Mart. Matte finish and black synthetic stock. Was kinda on a budget at the time hence shopping at Wally World. Bought it to deer hunt with and it has servered me well. Shoots 1"-1/14" 3 shot groups @100yds with factory ammo.

My question is, is this gun coming from Wal-Mart the same quality as any other Model 70? I've heard that manufactours make a lesser product in order to meet Wal-Marts pricing. Geuss waht i really want to know is do I really have a "Rifleman's Rifle"?LOL.

Two things:
    1. I know the difference in pre-64 model 70's
    2. WalMarts policys are not an issue here.

Thanks in advance for any replys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can a model 70 trigger be adjusted at home? It's post-64. Right now the pull is about 6#. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .300 WIN MAG, synthetic stock, 26" barrel, Redfield Partner 3.5-9X40mm, rose color optics flip-up lense covers, no rust, dings or scratches, hard and soft cases.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've heard Winchester's promotional wording about the Model 70 classic, as to how they have "brought back the original". What's the difference, then, (purely from a materials/mechanical point of view) between the pre-64 70 and the new "classic"? (Besides 40+ years [;)]). Did they truly go back to a forged action?

MM336

Remington 870 large-frame Wingmaster 20
    Marlin 90 O/U 12
    Marlin 39A
    Marlin 336SS 30/30
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a used Winchester Model 70 in .338 WM in the middle 70's, and have used it sparingly for hunting. As I get older it is getting to be a lot of gun and the thoughts of selling it come to mind. Also, I have heard Winchester is going out of business. My question is this, is there any way of finding out the exact age of this gun, if so, who do I contact, is it worth hanging on to, and/or what is it worth, I have less than 100 rounds through this gun.
    Thanks for the input.
    Gene
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like some info on how many winchester post 64 model 70 300 weatherby magnums were made due to I dont see many for sale. I have a very nice one and would like to know the value of it. Approx 2 boxes of rounds thru it and would like to get a caliber alittle smaller. Thanks Jay
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Model 70 2008 commerative series 270. My first question is why are the pre64s so much more? I was told the bolt was considerably heavier on the older ones but this piticular model has [ a heavy bolt? When or about was the first manufacture of the Winchester Model 70 and why do some have a 3 shot magizine and some a 5? or if there is a website that has the history would be appreciated. Thanks Rick
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what year is a model 70 with serial G117761 ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need bolt for Win 300 mag. My action is a 1964 production. Would I need a pre 64 or a post 64?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    where can i get a complete bolt for a model 70 classic short action 243 and about how much thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey guys looking for a high powered rifle in 30-06.the remington 700 in really want is a little to steep until after christmas,the local wallmart has a synthetic model 70 with a simmons 3.9 on it out the door for 315.00 with tax. does anybody out there know about this? i havw always had remingtons,thanks
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same gun as any other USRA.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    zomec,

Hello, and welcome to the forums here on Gunbroker.

You don't have any less of a rifle, than any other Model 70. It might be a Post 63 model, and it might not be a Classic model 70, meaning it does not have the Mauser Claw type extractor. Its finish is the bottom end of the line, but the rest is the same, and it should be comparable to the USRAC models.

Best
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WalMart retails Winchester products, not a store brand that attracts less collector attention despite being made by the same manufacturer. I have a Sears Roebuck Model 53 which is identical to a Winchester Model 70 but which is forever condemned to be a lesser gun because of the "trade name" of Sears, J C Higgins, Western Field or whatever the store dictated to the gun manufacturer.

WalMart buys in such quantity that they are often able to dictate configuration, synthetic stocks or finish; metal finish, etc. but the the gun itself is unchanged. They do this a lot with the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin line.

My Sears Roebuck Winchester Model 70 shoots just as well as my neighbors "authentic" one !

Dan R
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lcdrdanr
    WalMart retails Winchester products, not a store brand that attracts less collector attention despite being made by the same manufacturer. I have a Sears Roebuck Model 53 which is identical to a Winchester Model 70 but which is forever condemned to be a lesser gun because of the "trade name" of Sears, J C Higgins, Western Field or whatever the store dictated to the gun manufacturer.

WalMart buys in such quantity that they are often able to dictate configuration, synthetic stocks or finish; metal finish, etc. but the the gun itself is unchanged. They do this a lot with the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin line.

My Sears Roebuck Winchester Model 70 shoots just as well as my neighbors "authentic" one !

Dan R

The only problem is, that it does not say Winchester...even though it is written all over it.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zomec,

They make a specific "run" just for Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart bottom lines companies so bad it breaks them. In order to supply rifles to Wal-Mart so it isn't cost prohibitive, They make an entire run of their rifles and shotguns that will be sold at Wal-Mart. These are Wal-Mart spec'ed rifles.

What that tells me is the rifles will leave the factory within tolerances. But the time and attention to bring them up to the better tolerances isn't there.

In the past you used to be able to buy all different grades of firearms at Wal-Mart. I haven't seen a Supergrade or Featherweight or a Browning Citori in a Wal-Mart in quite some time. But, the last time I was in Wal-Mart was six months ago looking for .380 ammo that no one had. Their mentality that manufacturers need to be slaves to them makes me mad. So, I don't shop there anymore unless it is a last resort.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being Walmart knocks down the value, as does the fact it is not Winchester, but U.S. Repeating arms Company. You already know what kind of shooter it is, so I would say you got your monies worth. It will never be a collectable with value climbing over the years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replys.
    Kinda figured it was a special run just for Wal-Mart.
    It says Winchester Model 70 and shoots good as for the collector value not so good , that's ok its my "truck-gun" anyway.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is Walmart selling guns again? I know, he said he bought it several years ago, but the replies make it sound like they re-entered the firearms business. Our local store hasn't stocked any guns in over 4 years. I cannot order any either. There are none listed in the catalogue. Eddie