In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Broomhandle 9MM

BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 9MM broomhandle that always jams on the last round. It strips, chambers, and fires all but the last round. The last round ends up tipped up and nearly 90 degrees crosswise to the chamber. Has anyone had experience with this problem? What do I need to do to cause it to successfully chamber the last round? It seems apparent that something is wrong with the magazine follower, or spring pressure that causes the last round to jam. I don't want to start fooling around with it until I get some helpful advice.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before anything else, take it apart and clean everything real good. Use quality lube when putting back together,( not WD 40).

If you can, get hold of some hot loaded ball ammo, like the European stuff it was designed for. Usually their military ammo used a 125 grain bullet rather then the 115 grainer.

If your still have trouble with the last shot chambering, after this, then start working on the magazine spring.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a real Red 9 or is it a rebore from .30 on one of the many Communist Chinese surplus Mausers that came in several years ago?

If the latter, I don't have any ideas, a couple of us here used them all up and never could get a rebore to shoot reliably.

I didn't say it was a Chinese copy, I said it was Chinese surplus. Probably a real Mauser, but one rebored because 9mm is more common than real .30 Mauser versus the hotter Tokarev load.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hmmm. I am not aware that it is a Chinese copy. I bought it back about 1995 or so. All the markings look like German. I believe that it has a new barrel, which is very well done. It is a great looking pistol, but the jamming problem is consistent on the last round.

If I need to work on the spring, what is it that I should do? Is there too much spring pressure? Do that mean that it needs to be shortened a little, perhaps by compressing the spring a little by wire?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that the grips do not have a red 9.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Yep. May be a .30 cal C-96 bored out to 9mm. Look at the muzzle..does the barrel seem rather "thin" in the metal? (You will need a true 9mm Mauser, or an unbored .30 Mauser to see, but if you "know" pistol barrel thicknesses, you will be able to tell.

Also, many are parts guns. A C-96 designed to accept 9mm Parabellum (Luger) ammo will have a relief cut in the top of the magazine follower. Again, you will have to do a comparision to check, as I don't have photo capability right now. If there's a ridge on the left side, and then a "flat" where the bullet lays, it's .30 Mauser. If, in addition, the "flat" has a groove running fore-and-aft, the follower is correct for 9mm rounds. Best I could do. Good Luck! Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I shall pull the critter out of the gun safe, take a look, and compare it with your instructions. If need be I can take a picture of the thing and you can take a look too. Thanks a lot. Yes, I may have a rebore, or parts gun, or whatever. Until later, thank you again.
  • Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chinese liked their German Mauser rifles so much, they even faked manufacturer's marks. I'm not sure how easy it is to spot a Chinese copy of a C96; they loved the damn things