In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rossi '92 stovepipes, BAD

music_madnessmusic_madness Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Got a new Rossi 1892 lever action 45 LC; a real tack-driver. The 2nd CAS match i took it to my wife, Giant Killer, had a blond moment and accidently mistook it for hers and loaded it with her 38 spec. ammo. One of the "brain surgeons" at the loading table tried to FORCE 'em through before they called me over. I did the ol' open the magazine, dump the bullets thing and was good to go, Right? Not so fast, pilgrim, the next stage it stove-piped, jammed, and essentially shut me down. Well, got it home, broke it down, removed, cleaned the left cartridge guide, stop, and spring; put it back together, cycled it and all seemed fine. Not so, Chief. it's since continued to stove-pipe and not feed reliably no matter what i do. Other than that, it's slick as glass. [8] any ideas, comments, or considerations would be GREATLY appreciated. HELP !
PEACE
Catfish Tom McTeef #75700
aka.tom

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    well, duh-huh [:o)], figured it out on my own. The cartridge stop leaf spring has to go into/behind the cartridge stop. 'think i'll fire my gunsmith [:(!]...oh yeah, that would be me. just goes to show, given enough time even a monkey (with a screwdriver) can figure it out. at least Giant Killer thinks i'm a regular Einstein. so thanks anyway; y'all shoot straight out there.
    PEACE
    Catfish Tom McTeef
    SASS# 75700
    aka. tom
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your overall opinion of these rifles? I was thinking of purchasing one myself down the road.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a .357-.38 M92 for a while. A very good looking, nice handling gun that was fairly accurate, but wouldn't feed an entire magazine without jamming. With a full tube about 3 would go in with no issues, some would double feed, others would lift but pop out of alignment to jam up the action. No matter the caliber or bullet shape, it just didn't like to function. Took it to a C.A.S. focused gunshop (Walker '47 in Fullerton, Ca. ) and the 'smith said feed issues with the Rossi '92 is his #1 reason for working on them. Even after the work it fed better, but not 100% with anything I tried. I sold it beacuse I didn't trust it to work when it counted.

If you want one, see if you can function-test it first so you don't get a lemon like I did.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well, i got mine for CAS. it's brass framed, octogon barreled, 45LC. Gives me the look of a 1866 for half the money. 'cept for my idiocy, it's smooth and accurate. I have changed the rear sight and stoned the works along with a Lee spring kit. My wife's 357 was purchased here 'cause it's small and fits her 4'11" frame. She love's it. All in all it's a pretty decent value for an 1892. I have to say though my 1894 Marlin is smooth, reliable, accurate, reliable, has decent sights, and is reliable. Did i mention the reliability of the Marlin [;)] ? it all 'pends on what ya' want. My Marlin's like my Vaqueros, just perfect. The Rossi sure looks good 'specially with my 1858 Remingtons. I like 'em both.
    PEACE
    Catfish Tom McTeef
    SASS# 75700
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once had a Rossi "92",
    Took it apart down to "part one"; removed a few offending burrs and stoned all moving parts and contact areas. Biggest problem had been with a sticky ejector and general roughness. After cleaning it up it was slick, functioned perfectly. No complaints. Shouldn't have let it go.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gents,

If you have problems with a Rossi levergun, then you need to talk to this man:

http://www.stevesgunz.com/
    Steve Young
    4525 Alamosa St.
    Port Arthur, TX 77642
    (409) 984-5473
    steve@stevesgunz.com

Sass# 6765
    alias Nate Kiowa Jones

He knows leverguns, and is a great guy to deal with. He has helped me out, and has been generous with his time.