In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

iver johnson .22

hoozlebirdhoozlebird Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
anyone have any info or know any links for info on the iver johnson .22 auto trailsman that were made in argentina by t.a.l.a.?

Comments

• hoozlebirdhoozlebird Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a revolver I cannot find in my books
    it is a 6-shot, removeable cylinder, .22 cal., plastic grips with IJ, removable front site, a single/double action,it has a flip out side gate, has a round 2" barrel. no markings under the grips. has K57003 stamped on side under the cylinder. only other mark is tchburg Mass USA (thats worn, I think that it was an I)
    no one I know has any ideas about it. it is in excellent condition
    Anyone recognize this?
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    this is a late production "model 55SA cadet" the K letter codes to the serial number was used between 1974 and 1978. if it has an adjustable rear sight it would be the new american bulldog model manufactured between 1974 and 1978.

I.J. CADET MODEL 55S
    1955-1960
    The difference between the Model 55 and the Model 55S is only in the barrel length and grips. Grip panels are two piece small pocket size Tenite and the barrel length is 2 ? inches and finish is blue. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action. Caliber .22 rimfire with 8 rounds cylinder capacity, recessed chambers with Flash Control front rim (cylinder unfluted until 1958); Weight 24 ounces; Frame height 4 inches; Frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length 7 inches. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    I.J. CADET MODEL 55SA
    1961-1978
    The difference between this A series and the earlier series is the addition of a loading gate to the right side of the frame. All specifications are the same except a small weight gain because of the loading gate. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$95

NEW AMERICAN BULLDOG SERIES
    1973-1978
    Large solid frame double action revolver with pull pin cylinder release. Finish: Blue or Satin Nickel; Grips: large oversize plastic one piece or small pocket size plastic two piece Sights: ramp front and rear adjustable for windage and elevation; Calibers: .22 rimfire, .22 magnum and .38 special in 2 ? inch barrel only; Cylinder capacity: .22 rimfire and .22 magnum 6 rounds, 38 special 5 rounds; Barrel length and shape: 2 ? inches with heavy full length rib, 4 inches with heavy full length rib; Weight: 2 ? inch barrel 26 ounces, 4 inch barrel 30 ounces; Frame Height 4 inches; frame length 4 7/8 inches; Overall length: 2 ? inch barrel 6 ? inches, 4 inch barrel 9 inches. DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$145

bill
    edited November -1
    6 rounds, it only holds 6
    and does not have adjustable sights, the sights are fixed, the front one is ribbed
    and it does have a hammer
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    i have learned that during this late production era 1974 to 1978 iver johnson made both 6 shot and 8 shot 22 LR models. this is the era that revolver production was winding down and they were using any and all parts availble. there were revolvers coming out of the factory using grips not normally found on that model. a lot of prebored 6 shot cylinders (that had yet to be chambered for the 22 magnum) were chambered for the 22 LR instead. all in the name of lets sell some products. just because it is chambered for 6 rounds does not chamge the fact it is a late production cadet model (short barrel)and not a new unknown model. it was cheaper and easier to cast and install a small rib with front sight than it was to have a skilled machinst to mill a slot in the round barrel that was exactly centered for the half moon type of front sight used on the early models. if you had the box for this revolver it would most likely read model B222 cadet, blue finish, 22 caliber 2 inch barrel. whereas a 38 caliber would read B382 cadet and marked 38 special caliber or 38 S&W caliber.

there are a lot more of this revolver manufactured that fits the description i furnished so it was offered as generic information and value will not change. there is not enough information as to how many of these 6 shots were offered to even try to determine if they are even a new variation, there could have been very few or a lot. serial numbers are of no help because when they do turn up they are in both the H & K letter codes. what is consistent is the type of front sight on your revolver all seem to use the K letter code but there are 8 shot versions that use the K letter code also.
    bill
    edited November -1
    OK Thank you very much. we were lost and confused.