In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 336A

BillyBob3030BillyBob3030 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Folks, I have a 336A dates 1949 which is in excellent condition and looks to be all original. I say this because the gun shoots very high. The rear sight is all the way down on the barrel as it does not have a wedge ramp. I can't go any lower to bring the group down. Is this normal for Marlins of this era?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, not normal. How high, at what range, with what load?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    you need a taller front sight.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using standard velocity ammo.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like everyone wants to take the front or rear sights off (or both) when they scope a Marlin 336, then they sell the gun with the scope and forget to includet the sights.

Next owner wants iron sights and purchases iron sights for a 336 BUT Marlin made different sights over the years and while they interchange, they are different and don't shoot to the same point.

Have had it happen several times, got to where I just buy a Williams rear aperture sight and don't even try to match them anymore. Usually works out cheaper anyway.

Dan R
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin .30-30 with 4 x scope on see-through mounts. The barrel mounted buck horn rear site is on stepped wedge and it's right on at 50 yards. The scope is on at 100 yards. I use 170 Hornady over 30 grains of IMR 3031. I've gotten deer, partridge and squirrel with this. Bought gun new in 1965 with my paper route $$$$.[;)]
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marlin 336 models were not factory tapped for scope mounts until about 1955' so it should be a "waffle top" with no holes on top side of receiver if it's still in it's original configuration 1949'.can't see why front site would have been changed .post a picture that should show why it shoots so high
  • Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you sight your Rifle in? Are you holding front sight at 6 o'clock to bullseye, OR are you covering up bullseye with front sight?
    In either case do you have the front site sitting in notch of rear site with tops of rear & front at same level? You can take bolt out of Marlin & "bore sight" it at close range to get an idea of where sights are at in relation to bore.