In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Request for info about shotgun history

Targetguy101Targetguy101 Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
A friend sent me this request. I knew some of the info, but would like a pro to fill in the blanks for him regarding actual history, value, etc.

His message:
12 ga double barrel. It has St Louis Arms Co. on it, also stamped "Bored by skilled machinists" #2826
I found out that 1890 -1914 they were made in Belgium by Browning and also they made shotguns in st louis in the 40' and 50's.
Also made by another, J stevens and cresent at other times

Post any answers here and please also send to me directly at Auctionfocus@aol.com Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need more info and pics.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    According to Baldersons Book of Antiques and Modern Firearms..
    St. Louis Arms Co., were made in Belguim for Shapleigh Hardware Co., circa 1900....Double Barrel Shotguns were made and Single Shot were made. Nothing mentioned about Browning making Hardware and Mail Order Shotguns.....He Dog or Rufe-Snow might have some further History....Best...
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    I doubt very much the gun was made by Browning in Belgium. Browning did not make "Trade Brand Name" shotguns.I even doubt it was made in Belgium at all. Anyway the gun is what I call a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name ST. LOUIS ARMS CO. BORED BY SKILLED MECHANICS (BLUE DIAMOND STEEL) were made by Either Crescent Fire Arms Co of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1932), Stevens Arms & Tool Co of Chicopee Falls.MA (1864 to 1942) or Hopkins & Allen of Norwich,CT (1868 to 1915). I have no information on who sold the gun. There is another gun with the name of just St. Louis Arms Co (no Bored By Skilled Mechanics) that was also made by Crescent and Stevens as well as being impoerted from Belgium. Do not confuse the names. Belgian made guns will have the Belgian proof mark consisting of the letters "ELG" stamped on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have St. Louis arms confirmed as a name used on guns produced by Crescent, but like Ned I have not uncovered an attribution to any particular seller.