In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FEDEX / UPS shipping fees.

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am selling a few handguns.I am not a FFL holder,but will be shipping to one.I know Fedex and UPS only do overnight shipping on guns.Do they have a set fee or is it based on the area code it is going to ? I need to put the shipping cost in the sale.

EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's really pricy, based on distance shipped, weight and amount of insurance. Best thing to do would either just figure it into the price of the gun, or make it a nominal fee something like $20. It can be a real deal killer, if you add the the correct total amount to the deal.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    It is based on weight and location like everything else. I think I read that UPS now will do 2nd day air (since it is their rule they can do that) and that saves a lot. Normal overnight runs about $70 and 2nd day runs about $35 last time I shipped.

I have 2 different places I had shipped from. One is a hub in a small town that is only open for 2 hrs each evening and they have been charging my 2nd day on the last couple pistols I shipped.

Also keep in mind both places will only take firearms at the hub and not the stores or drop off locations.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    Just shipped a Colt Lightweight Commander from Abilene, TX to Tucson AZ by Fed Ex. Cost $49.73.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next day air, adult sig required- without insurance, count on about $50-$65.

You may be better off to find a dealer that you can pay to ship FOR you. THEY can use US Priority Mail for MUCH less money. But only Dealers and Manufacturers can use mail for handguns.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EVILDR235,

"You may be better off to find a dealer that you can pay to ship FOR you. THEY can use US Priority Mail for MUCH less money. But only Dealers and Manufacturers can use mail for handguns."

I think this is an important point to reinforce here with regard to this type of question.

A dealer can used the Post Office services for shipping handguns when a non-licensed citizen cannot. It has been proven to be less expensive to use a dealer in some but not all of these types of transactions. Shop around to compare prices and services. This may be the alternative to those other shipping companies for your needs.

Best.
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always ship handguns through a local dealer (a Local Gun Store) that charges me $25 plus the USPS shipping charge. It does not have to go Priority, it can go First Class and insurance is up to me. I typically ship Priority, Insured but have been known to ship First Class if the cost get's too high. Also, it can go Flat Rate Priority, if it fits in the Flat Rate box usually about $11 to ship plus insurance. It's almost always cheaper using USPS even with the extra FFL fee.

Since neither UPS nor FEDEX want my business (if they did they wouldn't require that I use overnight air when I don't need an overnight service)I prefer to leave the money with my Local Gun Shop instead of Big Brown.

Dan R
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can an individual who holds a C&R ship eligible C&R handguns via USPS to another C&R holder? thanks
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I usually just put a price of $40 for shipping a handgun on the auction and eat the rest of the shipping. It usually ends up costing me another $15 to $20 to ship handguns via UPS. It really sucks; however, it is what it is. You can only ship Next Day Air or Next Day Air Saver. You cannot ship Second Day Air.
  • Options
    dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lcdrdanr
    It does not have to go Priority, it can go First Class and insurance is up to me. I typically ship Priority, Insured but have been known to ship First Class if the cost get's too high.

Are you shipping real guns?[:D] Because First Class parcels are limited to thirteen ounces.

I think you meant Parcel Post, which is cheaper than Priority Mail.

quote:Originally posted by aap2
    Can an individual who holds a C&R ship eligible C&R handguns via USPS to another C&R holder? thanks

No. Although a Curio & Relic license is an 03FFL, USPS regs don't use the term "FFL", instead they state "dealer or manufacturer".

Only firearms dealers or manufacturers may mail handguns.
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1