In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best 3x9 scope?

sabb0007sabb0007 Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Asked this question in general forum - should have asked it here. Got some opinions and recommendations, I believe I may get more guidance here.

I'd like to build a long range rifle, accurate to 500 yards and beyond, someday it will be a .308, now it's a 7mm 08 Winchester Featherweight. I think the most efficient way for me to do this is to put a really nice scope on my rifle, then someday upgrade the rifle when I have extra cash. I like 3x9 or 2.5 x 10 because I feel I can still effectively hunt in most situations while still shooting relatively long distance. I'd like this scope to be the last I'll ever need of this magnification range. The nightforce is ~1300 bucks, I haven't looked at too many other ones yet - still in the beginning phases. Who makes high quality spectacular glass, with an incredible warranty, without being overpriced for what you get. ie. Swarovski, Leupold, US optics, valquartson, burris, simmons, bushnell, nikon, etc. I'm happy paying whatever as long as I know what I'm getting is worth it, I just don't want to overpay. If a 1300 nightforce is just as good as a 700 leupold - the choice is easy.

Someday I'd like to get the new Remington 700 tactical target - it looks pretty sweet.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!

Comments

• Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want the best, I'd buy Swarovski. They make the best binoculars I have ever owned, and their scopes are just as good. Burris Black Diamond scopes are excellent, anything made by Zeiss is first class as well. For low price and quality, the best buy would probably be a Leupold. I'd recommend a 30mm tube in whatever you buy. This is strange; last year I bought a NIB Japanese Tasco Titan 30mm variable on closeout at a gun store for well under $100 and while it doesn't come up to the quality of my expensive scopes, it does an amazing job and is very bright and clear. Another quality scope is a Pecar Berlin. My late model Pecar 3-9 is exceptional. The down side is that they recently closed shop and there went the warranty.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nightforce blows Leupold off the water, not even on the same ocean those two.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Nightforce blows Leupold off the water, not even on the same ocean those two.

I have to say +2 to that one He Dog.

Of you want good quality, and want to shoot beyond 500 yards, then you will need more scope than a 3-9x. As for Brands, I would start at the bottom with the Burris Tactical series, and skip over Leupold, and head for Night Force, US Optics, and S&B in that order of ascending quality.

Best
  • Options
    sabb0007sabb0007 Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm intrigued with Schmidt & Bender - I'll have to look further into their products. It seems this is a tough subject - I don't think anyone does any REAL compaison between the brands. High quality optics seems to live in a world on their own - no wonder there is no market for used items. No one knows the difference and can't really tell the difference in the first place. I would really like to see some type of scientific comparison between scopes. Some in the general discussion mentioned resolution power - but that only comes into play (or measured) with VERY powerful scopes.

Thanks for the help - you've given me a few more brands to consider.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sabb0007
    Asked this question in general forum - should have asked it here. Got some opinions and recommendations, I believe I may get more guidance here.

I'd like to build a long range rifle, accurate to 500 yards and beyond, someday it will be a .308, now it's a 7mm 08 Winchester Featherweight. I think the most efficient way for me to do this is to put a really nice scope on my rifle, then someday upgrade the rifle when I have extra cash. I like 3x9 or 2.5 x 10 because I feel I can still effectively hunt in most situations while still shooting relatively long distance. I'd like this scope to be the last I'll ever need of this magnification range. The nightforce is ~1300 bucks, I haven't looked at too many other ones yet - still in the beginning phases. Who makes high quality spectacular glass, with an incredible warranty, without being overpriced for what you get. ie. Swarovski, Leupold, US optics, valquartson, burris, simmons, bushnell, nikon, etc. I'm happy paying whatever as long as I know what I'm getting is worth it, I just don't want to overpay. If a 1300 nightforce is just as good as a 700 leupold - the choice is easy.

Someday I'd like to get the new Remington 700 tactical target - it looks pretty sweet.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen!
    The better question is "What 3x9 scope offers the best bang-for-the-buck?" You really cannot beat a Zeiss for the money and they have a rebate program going on.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/98b5d98190ff184e8525754a0052c58c
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sabb0007
    I'm intrigued with Schmidt & Bender - I'll have to look further into their products. It seems this is a tough subject - I don't think anyone does any REAL compaison between the brands. High quality optics seems to live in a world on their own - no wonder there is no market for used items. No one knows the difference and can't really tell the difference in the first place. I would really like to see some type of scientific comparison between scopes. Some in the general discussion mentioned resolution power - but that only comes into play (or measured) with VERY powerful scopes.

Thanks for the help - you've given me a few more brands to consider.

Schmidt and Bender is the only scope manufacturer in the world that builds every aspect of their optics in house. All the rest, every one of them outsource parts and even entire scopes. They certainly are one of the best in the world, and their prices reflect that. Does a hunter need a $3000 scope? Probably not, scopes for $500 or less will do the job and last a lifetime. Does a competition shooter? Ask Nononsense or JustC.