In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Are AN/PEQ 2s legal?

just Jayjust Jay Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Wasn't sure where to put this. Just curious, every now and then PEQ-2s pop up for sale on gunbroker, and I was wondering, are they legal? Also there seem to be a lot of cheap copies available for airsoft on EBAY, are they even worth the time, or are they just junk.

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as they weren't stolen, then yes they are legal. There aren't any laws that prevent private ownership of them, and for the most part you can buy them directly from the manufacturer or a company that warehouses for them. I would avoid cheap clones, for the most part they are going to be built on the reject amplification tubes that were sold off by the company who manufactures them. Cause they say no two amplification tubes are alike, like diamonds, and have to be tested to spec after they are made. If they don't make it why just throw them away when you can sell them to other companies who make cheaper stuff.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They do turn up.
    I bought 2 from a LEO supply place going out of business 6-8 yrs ago.
    I don't think they can be sold new to us mere civilians now new.

CP

Edit

I didn't say anything about laws.
    Try and buy a new IR laser from Insight Technology or Laser Devices.
    They will not sell to civilians and have strict rules for their dealers.

LB,Please tell me where I can get one. I would love another DBAL and a PAQ-4C.

CP

LB, exactly what amplification tubes are in an Infrared aiming laser?? Why do you post when you don't know what you are talking about??

CP
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they can, but you will more than likely have to sign an end user agreement that states you will not sell it overseas and whatnot. There aren't laws regulating the ownership or sale of night vision or thermal optics to US civilians in the US.
  • Options
    just Jayjust Jay Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information
  • Options
    sandsmojoesandsmojoe Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IR & visible lasers are legal to own in MOST states. Military laser aiming devices are typically covered by ITAR regulations, so, no out of the US sales without an export, (Hillery), permit.
    Some city's/states however, absolutely BAN aiming lasers all together. Some cities have ordinances regulating their use. One small town I'm aware of actually prosecutes people for shining lasers at random, whether as a nuisance or "hazard" to people I don't know for sure.
    Dont' bother with the cheap made in china stuff. It's usually a cheap plastic airsoft box with a cheap laser diode, battery and switch.
    Besides, unless you have a night vision scope, goggles, etc., the IR stuff isn't of any use to you.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Thermal imagery scope (the ones you see on outdoor shows where licensed hunters are conducting nuisance hunts-and the target is "white" due to body heat).

Where are they available, if at all? Thanks, Joe

EDIT
    To CP: Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to peruse the websites. Best, Joe
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Thermal imagery scope (the ones you see on outdoor shows where licensed hunters are conducting nuisance hunts-and the target is "white" due to body heat).

Where are they available, if at all? Thanks, Joe

Knesekguns.com

Auroratactical.com

I am fortunate that both of them are close to my house.
    Some of the stuff they have is amazing.

CP