In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

COLT 1908 .380

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
What would a "good" price be for a 1908 in super nice condition (probably 95%) with numbered box and manual go for? I have looked on the auction side and only found one that meets most of this criteria. I found one locally for sale for $750.00. I think this is a better than average price but want some input from others.

Aaron

Oh, by the way, the box is "penciled" to the gun. Is that a typical numbering to a Colt manufactured in 1933? The serial number is 111??? I remember the first three digits, not the last three.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just a question of curiosity.....What is the honest value of a 98% (plus) condition 1908 in .380. The pistol is blued with walnut grips. There is only a couple of barely visible handling marks, but other than that the pistol is great.
    I have had several 1903/1908's in the past, but am just looking for "current" value on this item. I looked at recent sales on the auction side and only found a couple of examples.

Thanks,

Aaron
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    $750 for a 95% with box and manual is a GREAT price. i paid $1000 for mine;

bluecolt.jpg

if you get it, can you make me a copy of the manual?
    thanks,
    tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the info
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I looked at the 1908 on Sunday afternoon. My previous description was an "over the phone" description. Upon looking at the firearm, it truly is a 95% condition piece wih the exception of a small blemish on the top of the slide between the rear sight & the ejection port (?). The size of the scuff (or what looks like a holster mark) is about 3/8 wide & 1-1/4 inch in length. Other than that, the item is a beautiful condition piece.

The box is the best I have seen, with the top still hinged to the bottom andf includes a nice manual. Also is an original magazine (two-toned & Colt marked) and another not marked/non-original.

Question: Still a good buy at $700.00?
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:Question: Still a good buy at $700.00?

let me put it this way,
    if you don't buy it please give me the sellers phone #.

what makes it a good buy is the box and manual. that's if the box is original to the gun and not a modern copy. but even if the box isn't original, i think it's a good price (for you).
    jmho
    tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I picked the Colt up the other day and man am I happy with it. Below I will (attempt for the first time) to post some photos..... I haven't hardly cleaned it up. Once it's clean, It'll probably look even better.

I ended up paying an even $700.00 for this 1908...SWEET DEAL....

[img][/img]100_5591.jpg
    [img][/img]100_5593.jpg
    [img][/img]100_5595.jpg
    [img][/img]100_5600.jpg
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweet. I have one with a four digit serial number (1911-1912. Mine is in decent shape but had some rust on it. I test fired it when I first got it and since then it has been a safe queen. Yours looks a little better than mine.