In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hello Bert, Can you date one for me?

garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
edited September 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello Bert,
My friend has a Model 94 that he would like a DOM if you could please.

The gun is a model 94 with a 20" barrel.
Caliber 32WS
SN- 997920
Carbine Butt Plate
Saddle Ring
Type 5 Upper Tang Markings
Milled Front Band
Nickel Steel
No Markings on Bottom Tang
Marbles Rear ramped sight
There is a proof mark on the front of the receiver top side.
(The mark looks like a W with a T thru it, inside a circle)

I hope this is enough information.
Thanks for you help and expertise.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I'm not Bert, but he was kind enough to give me a copy of his Winchester reserch as of about a year ago. According to that information your model 1894 in 32WCf was built in the last days of 1926. I'm sure Bert will be along shortly and give you more info.
    Hope this helps.
    W.D.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Here is # 1,009,981 in a sporting rifle that Bert put at 1927 (so 1926 sounds right for yours), it too sports all marbles sights in a .32 WS....I think Bert is hard at work somewhere in Alaska.[;)]

Incidently it would be interesting to know if Winchester used the Marbles Sights strictly in a .32 WS or if they were special order, who determined what sight ???

pix59424234.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it a bunch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have another question about the gun. The front barrel band has a sling stud in it along with the butt stock. Were these factory options?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial number 997938 was the last Model 94 made in the year 1926 (December 30th). Serial 997920 was most likely also made on the same day.

I will need to see pictures of the front barrel band sling swivel to be sure, but I doubt that it is factory original.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Here is # 1,009,981 in a sporting rifle that Bert put at 1927 (so 1926 sounds right for yours), it too sports all marbles sights in a .32 WS....I think Bert is hard at work somewhere in Alaska.[;)]

Incidently it would be interesting to know if Winchester used the Marbles Sights strictly in a .32 WS or if they were special order, who determined what sight ???

Todd,

Serial 1009981 was manufactured in November of 1927. Marbles sights were used on all calibers, and on both Rifles and Carbines. Winchester began using Marbles sights as a standard item shortly after the turn of the century. The 1905 - 1920 vintage Model 1894s are most often found with Marbles sights.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by garanch
    Thank you very much for your info.

You are quite welcome[:)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭