In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MOST UNDER-VALUED HAND GUN

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I vote for the CZ-52. Which do you think is under-valued or unapreciated? It is eazy to admire a $2000 gun, but what about the low dollar gun that some look down on? What is your vote and why.

Comments

• Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger P series pistols gets my vote. simple, reasonable price, American made, built like a tank and go bang when directed.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Rock Island 1911, EAA Witness, and the Hi Point

At least the CZ52, the Makarovs, etc. have a "following" with C&R folks or people building military themed collections
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the CZ52 also. What other gun (or caliber) can you shoot through three houses before effectively taking out the target in house number four? I guess you could do that with a Tokarev though, but they are not built near as well as the CZ.

I would definately say the CZ is an underpriced gun (under $300.00), but I think the "Eastern Bloc looks" of the pistol keep people away.

Anyway, my 2 cents.....

Aaron
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say these things are time-dependent. If guns are truly undervalued (ie asking price is less than it maybe ought to be) usually the market comes around.

In my opinion, in GENERAL the most "undervalued" guns are military or police trade in surplus guns that are effective, reliable and strong, but for whatever reason aren't that popular at the moment (because they're in some slightly odd European caliber, aren't "trendy", etc).

CZ-52 definitely does fall into this category. The Czech CZ-82s in 9mm Makarov for $225 probably still fall in this category. Older actual Makarov guns did too, though the cheap ones have dried up now.

Another recent example is the West German Sig P225s (which were available at about $300 each for a while about 3 yrs ago). Again, dried up, and cost more now.

Smith autos ten years ago. . .reliable ambidextrous all-Stainless steel American built semi-auto guns with Novak sights for $300? Those have mostly dried up now too.

There are still police/security trade in Smith revolvers in .38 and .357 available for $300 or less. Hard to argue with that.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I vote for Herbert Schmidt (FIE and other U.S. importer brand names) and Tanarmi (Excam) .22 SA revolvers. These guns have horrible rep as cheap junk. But I buy broken ones whenever I can find them cheap enough, and generally fix them. Most of the time I find that the problem is neglect and/or abuse.
    The guns were inexpensive and therefore considered "cheap". People didn't feel they deserved to be taken care of. And it seems failed to clean and care for them as they would a more expensive gun. Often throwing them in tackle boxes or under truck/car seats for extended periods w/o ever attempting to clean them. Then when they get so gunked up they won't function, they proclaim the junk and get rid of them.
    I've acquired several in non working condition. And after a good disassembled cleaning, maybe a replaced small part or spring, they are now good shooters. No Colt or Ruger mind you. But solid enough and servicable revolvers.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Robin
    Ruger P series pistols gets my vote. simple, reasonable price, American made, built like a tank and go bang when directed.
    +1 on the Ruger.
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    CZ 52 is by far the winner of the "Most Undervalued Handgun" award.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This should be in the General Discussion forum.

It can run it's ten posts, but if there are any thoughts of a Part II (much less a Part III) it will go over to General Discussion.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I always felt that the pistols offered by Bersa and Bernardelli were vastly under appreciated and that both makes offered very good performance for much less money than the big name brands.
  • Options
    BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider, let me revise my post. In your expert opinion which hand gun is most undervalued? OK now?