In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

filling a hollow plastic stock

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I got a plan for filling a ruger 77MII hollow plastic stock, but I would like to know if anybody else thinks this would work.

What I would do is to drill about a 1/2" or so hole at the upper end of the forearm. The hole would only go through the inside layer of plastic in the barrel channel, not the whole stock. Then I plan on buying some liquid steel that is available at Brownells. They say it is rather fluid so it will seep into tight places. I would use a large syringe and inject the liquid into the hole I drilled until it was full. i would have the stock standing on it's butt so the liquid would flow down to the receiver end and fill up to the forward end. I guess I'd let it dry for a week or two, and if common sense is working, then the forearm should be reinforced quite substantially. Am I thinking right or no? Thanks

I wondered about that very thing myself. I guess that's why I posted the question. You may be right. Would you have any other suggestions, or would I just be better off buying an after-market stock?

I'm going to call Brownells as soon as the tech line opens and get their opinion. Great idea there. As far as the expanding foam, I plan on using that in the butt section in conjunction with a piece of pvc pipe filled with lead shot to give the butt end a solid feel and a little weight. I think the 2 part epoxy would be the best, if I could get it thin enough to where it would run through the hollow part of the forearm and fill up.

Comments

• Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii, maybe I am way off base but it seems to me the liquid steel may not dry. It did not dry in the container that it came in and all you are doing is transferring it to a new container. The liquid steel will dry at the hole, form a plug, cut off the air and stopping the rest from drying. Or take a couple of years to dry. No? Like I said, maybe I am way off base
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would contact Brownells first to make sure the product will do what you want it to.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with the manufacturer. Oxygen is needed to cure most bonding agents. You might be better off with a 2 part epoxy resin.
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know what your overall goal is but how about the insulating foam in a can? Squirts in, expands, excess that comes out of hole cut off... Will make the stock very "sturdy" with little weight added....
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the expanding foam several times and it works well to take the clank and rattle out of hollow plastic stocks. It will stiffen the stock somewhat but not nearly as much as bedding compound. On the other hand, it is almost weightless and doesn't change the balance. I would suggest using a two part epoxy as they will solidify w/o outside air. I second the call to Brownells' as they are very knowledgeable and helpful.
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    epoxy and lead shot!![:D]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the others that liquid steel or other air-curing bonding agents like it would probably not be the best way to go about this.

Really, I have to ask, what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

What is it exactly about the current stock that you don't like?

Are you really afraid that you're going to break the current stock?
    Is it not heavy enough for you?
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this: Fill a bottle near full with fine sand. Then mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and put in enough to seal off the surface of the sand. That way you will learn something about behavior of filling something.

More experimenting with fill material and sealing agent may lead to a decision.

Epoxy glues don't depend on oxygen to set up like some others.

I'm a believer in getting some experience before risking screwing up a job.
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah, I really haven't got the rifle yet. I'm still in Kuwait waiting on a plane ride home. The rifle is at the gunsmith getting a new trigger and a recrown job. I have heard so many stories of how bad the injection molded stocks are that I am just trying to figure out the cheapest way of stiffening the forearm without buying a new stock. I guess in reality, I really won't know what I have until I get home next month to pick up the rifle. For sure I plan on pillar bedding the stock and floating the barel. I guess what I'm trying to do overall is improve a factory stock that I have been told is junk. Does that make sense or am I just crazy?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,022 ******
    edited November -1
    Whatever you use to fill the stock's void, you will need more than one hole. One hole lets the filler in, and the other lets the air out.