In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W MP15 compared to Colt AR15?

milsurplusmilsurplus Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
What is the general consensus of the S&W MP15 compared to the Colt AR15 in terms of quality, reliability, durability and accuracy?

And for whatever reason on the S&W website neither the MP15 nor MP15I seem to have a bayonet lug, so they are making them without bayonet lugs now, that wouldn't make sense as it really couldn't be military & police then?
Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You ever tried to put a bayonet on an "M4" type rifle with a 16" barrel. Its just ridiculous, there is like not even enough blade past the barrel to stick the gun in the mud.

All the new Colt stuff is made in Canada by Dieco or whatever anyway. Your just paying extra for a pony stamped on the reciever. Personally I'd rather have a S&W. Colt holds no standard for quality anymore. If you want quality, get LMT, Noveske, or POF-USA. Heck even Para-Ord and STI are making some awesome AR rifles these days.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by milsurplus

And for whatever reason on the S&W website neither the MP15 nor MP15I seem to have a bayonet lug, so they are making them without bayonet lugs now, that wouldn't make sense as it really couldn't be military & police then?
    Thanks.

The US Army bought six million M1 carbines during WWII and virtually none of them came with a bayonet lug. That little do-dad came along after the war. The first AR-15s didn't have bayonet lugs either, it wasn't until the DoD expressed interest in adopting it as a service rifle (later to become the M-16) that a bayonet lug suddenly appeared on the barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is an extension for the bayonet to mount onto the M4 rifle properly so that it works fine and the blade is completely usable.
    I personally happen to prefer a bayonet capable rifle or shotgun; I am kind of old school, to each their own I guess.

So you have tried the S&W MP15 and like it then, was there anything that you didn't like about it?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As with most popular brand names, you pay extra for that name whether it's S&W or the Hartford Horsey. i've seen the production line in the plant where the current "Colt" is made. i'm not sure I want to hold one that close to my face. It looks like the assemblers are working at piece rate and as fast as possible. If it passes inspection, it's good enough. With the increased demand, it may be the same in all the production lines but I haven't seen the others. I put my AR's together in a reasonable time frame and if it doesn't fit or look right, I determine why. Many have kicked the "frankenrifle" and some deserve it, but I have utmost confidence in something I assembled and question anything made in a piecework shop. No offense meant for those who might work in such.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,022 ******
    edited November -1
    Be sure and get one with the bayonet lug. I can't tell you how useful a bayonet lug is.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw anyone, civilian, police officer, or military personnel, with a bayonet mounted on a M-16/AR-15 style rifle?

I have a Smith & Wesson M&P15T. Since it has a folding front sight, it has o bayonet lug. It is very accurate and reliable. Before I got the S&W, I had an issued Colt M-16 manufactured in 1975. It was also accurate and reliable. The Colt had a bayonet lug, but I had no bayonet to hang on it, so it was useless.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Apparently some don't like bayonet lugs I guess oh well, neither do the gungrabbers, however if they are so useless then it shouldn't matter if they are used on a rifle or shotgun then.
    Like I said I just personally happen to prefer a bayonet capable rifle or shotgun; I am kind of old school, to each their own I guess.
    Anyway sounds like the S&W MP15 would be a good weapon to have.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Apparently some don't like bayonet lugs I guess oh well, neither do the gungrabbers, however if they are so useless then it shouldn't matter if they are used on a rifle or shotgun then.
    Like I said I just personally happen to prefer a bayonet capable rifle or shotgun; I am kind of old school, to each their own I guess.
    Anyway sounds like the S&W MP15 would be a good weapon to have.

Okay, you have have a bayonet lug; simply because Uncle Sam has them and the anti gunners don't like them, and not because you've given us any actual use you'll have for the lug once you buy the rifle. Since the Colt has the lug and the S&W does not then just buy an Colt and move on with your life! This saga is like telling us that you like BMW and the Mercedes but the Mercedes only comes with an automatic transmission and you must have a manual gear box, which the BMW has. It is a no brainer that you buy the BMW because it has the one feature that you simply must have. The bayonet lug is the same issue: If you have to have a bayonet lug why are you even considering a rifle that lacks it?

It can't even imagine getting any enjoyment from my 9mm Colt without having a bayonet hanging off the end of it's muzzle:
    [img][/img]ColtAR159mmcarbine-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I personally don't see any reason to use a 9mm in a rifle designed for 5.56mm, but everybody's different.
    Like I said it is simply what I prefer is all and actually come to find out S&W apparently does produce the MP15 with the bayonet lug and just doesn't show it on their website for whatever reason. This thread actually has less to do with bayonet lugs than it does comparing the Colt AR15 with the Smith & Wesson MP15 as rifles in terms of quality, reliability, durability and accuracy and the bayonet lug issue was just an observation.
    There is always one way of determining how effective a bayonet mounted on a rifle is although I could actually careless about arguing about it.
    And car wise I prefer neither of those two, dont see how cars got in there though.
    Anyway I appreciate the comments about the Colt AR15 and S&W MP15 as a comparison, was able to get some useful info from it and will look into those.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This thread actually has less to do with bayonet lugs than it does comparing the Colt AR15 with the Smith & Wesson MP15 as rifles in terms of quality, reliability, durability and accuracy

Really? Seems like you made it the central theme of the entire thread:

Thanks.

There is an extension for the bayonet to mount onto the M4 rifle properly so that it works fine and the blade is completely usable.
    I personally happen to prefer a bayonet capable rifle or shotgun; I am kind of old school, to each their own I guess.

If one rifle, car, or women has a desireable feature that another lacks then go with what you prefer because no matter how good the other is it will never measure up.

It is hard to keep track of the amount of use I've received from the bayonet lug on my Mossbergs. Why I must have put a bayonet on those shotguns guns, oh I don't know...Once!

[img][/img]Mossberg590tactical2.jpg
    [img][/img]Mossberg590tactical5.jpg
    [img][/img]Mossberg5901.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, actually that is in correct, you and some others did that; I just made an observation and asked a question about it, however didn't know that it would start an argument. Although on forums such as this, that seems to be an easy thing to do since most have such an inflated ego and don't allow others to have an opinion. If their mods, some will make certain they get that last word in usually an insult of some sort and then lock the thread. If you and the others don't like bayonets and or bayonet lugs then by all means don't use them as it makes no difference to me and I was just asking about the Colt AR15 and the S&W MP15 and happened to mention it is all. Anyway there was some helpful info and I appreciate that.