In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wanting to buy a AK-47, have a quick question.

oddball7465oddball7465 Member Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
There are so many makes of AK's and I have no idea which is which. Anyway, what I'm looking for is a milled AK, not a stamped. So which makes are milled?

Comments

• Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Arsenal makes em new.

I like a milled reciever becase it can take more punishment, withstand more heat, and is more rigid..

Arsenal INC SLR-101 Older postban
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174082663

Older post ban
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174657266

SAM-7 current production rifle
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174546661
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just want to know all the different milled ones to keep an eye out for at gun shows and what not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Arsenal, mitchell, norinco, polytec, Lancaster arms, Century Arms, Fireing line, and Victor arms are the ones I know of and I'm sure there are more.
  • Options
    milsurplusmilsurplus Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    Arsenal, mitchell, norinco, polytec, Lancaster arms, Century Arms, Fireing line, and Victor arms are the ones I know of and I'm sure there are more.

And out of those or other AK's which do you feel that you could rely upon in terms of quality, reliability, durability and accuracy?
  • Options
    badsbsnf81badsbsnf81 Member Posts: 768
    edited November -1
    Just to be clear, you are not talking about full auto are you?
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    look for the yugo model heavy reciever and half the cost of milled and the weight
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by milsurplus
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

And out of those or other AK's which do you feel that you could rely upon in terms of quality, reliability, durability and accuracy?

All of them with the exception of maybe lancaster arms and Century Arms, Not that they wouldnt be reliable, but I dont know that all the parts are well made and that the overall build is well done so that they gun will last, and retain or go up in value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Russian is milled too right? Also, does the mean Yugoslavian, Romanian, WASR, and Chinese are stamped?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To you first question Russia made both models, but as far as I know there is only a handful of milled russian Aks in the us..

Not all yugo, romanian, and chinese guns are stamped, Norinco and polytech milled guns where imported from china..

It is usually advertised by the seller if the rifle is milled or stamped.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think Norinco offered a milled receiver but Polytech offered both. Quality level between the two companies was equivalent.
    My first AK, which I sold like a fool, was a Clayco underfolder having very dark plastic furniture. It was stamped and of higher quality fit & finish than other Chinese AK's I've owned.
    I didn't know or care about factory I.D. markings then so don't know which Chinese factory turned them out.
    In your shoes,I'd make it a deciding factor to get a ccrome lined barrel