In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barnes Lead Free Bullet Problems

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am using Barnes lead free bullets...they are suppose to be explosive on varmints...they just zip through...no instant and authorative termination. They are junk...are Nosler Lead Free any better?

Comments

• Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they Varmint Grenades ! They should be !
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    I am using Barnes lead free bullets...they are suppose to be explosive on varmints...they just zip through...no instant and authorative termination. They are junk...are Nosler Lead Free any better?

If you hate them so much, I'll be happy to take your remaining supply off your hands. [;)]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barnes makes a great variety now days of styles and models of bullets. Which do you have? If they are the X, XLC, or TSX, they are great deer and antelope getter's, but will punch a hole thru smaller critter's. The varmint grenades are what you need.

Best

EDIT 1:

What are you shooting them out of? What chambering?
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    They are the varmint grenades...but they are not grenades...at 250 to 300 yards they do not blow up!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope I have better results. Just got done loading 40 rounds for my Swift, using 36gr VGs. Most of the varmint shooting I do around here usually happens under 200 yards, though. My fingers are crossed for the red mist.[:D][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess that the MV at 250-300 yards from your rifle is too slow .