In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage Model 99

wcwiremanwcwireman Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I HAVE A SAVAGE 99. I KNOW FROM THE SERIAL# IT WAS MANUFACTURED IN 1940. HOWEVER IT DOES NOT HAVE THE WORDS "MODEL 99" (A B C D E EG EGR F G R RS T K ETC ETC)STAMPED ANY WHERE THAT I CAN SEE. IS THERE SOMEPLACE WHERE I CAN FIND THE EXACT MODEL DESIGNATION THAT I HAVE?
THE RIFLE IS CHECKERED, HAS A PISTOL GRIP, 24"BARREL, BEAD SIGHT IN A RAISED RAMP, SCHNABEL FORE-END. HOWEVER AS I SAID IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE WORDS "MODEL 99"STAMPED ANYWHERE ON IT LET ALONE THE LETTER IN ORDER TO IDENTIFY IT. THANKS FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION AND HELP IN SOLVING THIS MYSTERY!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've been looking for a Savage Model 99 .243 cal. for a long time without luck. I know they were manufactured per Savage literature, but they must be rare. Originally, they were manufactured to introduce kids and wives to hunting and shooting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    JW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How many different Model 99's were there? How much is a 99C .243 in very good condition worth? It has a 4x Weaver scope on it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not looking for dollar value..what do you guys think of this gun? Accurate - quality ect caliber is 308 thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking at one of these thinking about buying it. On the receiver, it just says Savage model 99. How can I tell if it is an E or an F or etc. as they are listed in the Blue Book? I can't see where it says on the gun. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a savage model 99 300savage at a really good deal.
    However it has a shortened butt stock with a rubber butt.
    The work that was done looks great and the gun looks 98% overall condition.
    I don't think that caliber would be a great youth gun, so would it be worth it to try and find a new butt stock or sell the gun and buy another?
    Where would I find an original butt stock? Average Cost?
    And what would be a good asking price/value for it the way it is, since I can't seem to find one on here that has been cut down to compare too?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a friend who received a Savage from his father and he wants to know how much its worth. It is a Savage Model 99 358 Winchester, and I believe he said Type A (if that means anything). The guy at the range said it was a good one because it had a counter on it. It is in good condition, any help with the value would be great. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought one for $300, it's in pretty good shape except someone in the past, refinished the stock(Poorly). Does anyone know of an after market dealer that might have a rear stock for one?
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage model 99 DL with the top mounted tang safety and would like to find out if anyone can tell me if Bausch and Lomb ever made the early adjustable scope mounts for the DL with the top mounted safety.

If anyone has a set of mounts (if made) I would be interested in purchasing them. I have a Balfor "[?]A" scope and spring mounted rings and need the adjustable mounts.

Thanks,
    Bob toppen
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have my fathers Sav 99 .300 - probably a 50's
    gun - how can I determine the model and approx
    value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was trying to figure out how to determine the letters that sometimes usually follow the model number on the 99's. I was told the one I have is a g or e...cant really remember. And no, I dont have a way to upload any pics.
    Thank you for any information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking for information and value of a Savage Model 99 Serial #527501, 300 cal. By the rear sight there is either an SP or an SR, I can't make it out. When I look in some books I have, the values go from $400 to $4000. I was trying to get an idea of the value, the gun is at least 75% original and it hasn't been shot that much. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rifle2l.jpg

Hope these pictures will give you more information. I am having trouble finding anything online. All has a letter of the alphabet after the Model 99, but mine just says 99 with no letters. I really appreciate any help. Any information as to when made, current value, etc is appreciated.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a small circle stamped on the lever boss where it hinges at the receiver - should be a letter inside the circle. I think "A" is 1949, and so on.

I'd say the rifle is about a $450.00 version. The 300 Savage was a common caliber, these were working rifles and most show a fair amount of wear. Yours looks like it was used a good deal, mostly wear and no dings or scratches.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $400-$450 near me. .300 Savage is the most common caliber and does not command a premium.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These took a jump a few years back, and then the economy took a turn and pretty much only the best, oldest or rarest of calibers in these rifles commands much money. That said they are solid, yet handy shooters.

I'm with the group on this one, $400-$450.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    AGREE ON PRICE, IT LOOKS LIKE A 99EG. STOCK SHOULD BE STAMPED UNDER THE BUTT PLATE.