In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NEED I.D. OLD ENGLISH HOLSTER

Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
Another holster for the pros to I.D.. Plainly stamped on the hold-down strap, ENGLAND. (photo 3) Also stamped on upper right corner of the back is 078 with an arrow pointed UP. (photo 4)

There is a cleaning rod in its holder on the back, but it has no handle, and this APPEARS intentional, with only a tight fit to keep it in its holder.(photo #2) Overall the holster shows no wear or scruffs. All the stitching is like new with no sign of fraying.

ENGLISHREVOLVERHOLSTER004_edited.jpg

ENGLISHREVOLVERHOLSTER003_edited.jpg

ENGLISHREVOLVERHOLSTER001_edited.jpg

ENGLISHREVOLVERHOLSTER002_edited.jpg

ENGLISHREVOLVERHOLSTER005_edited.jpg

Thanks in advance for you help.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ Shansei45

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possible holster used by the Brits- (I'm sure you know, the "broad arrow" is the British Ordnance marking)

Very similar to this one- scroll WAY down. The "OR" is Other Ranks.

http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/lrdgindividual.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    11b6r you nailed it immediately! Fascinating history of this old guy. According to that article, this design has been in use since 1913 - 99 years so far. And I notice it's called a "popular" holster.

Also of note is that it was usually O.R., Other Ranks, such as cooks, messengers, etc.. And noted that the horsey group had to have theirs modified, quite complicated compared to this simple belt loop style.

Great info like this certainly helps when writing up the offering. Many thanks! [;)]

• Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a common British military holster. The cleaning rod is not original. The rods that were used were steel loop style.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, joel, I wondered about the rod.

• Options
    edited November -1
    You're welcome. This is a typical British cleaning rod that would have been with your holster, which by the way is in wonderful condition.

cleaningrods.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep! Didn't make sense without something to keep it in the leather holder besides friction. The loop hand is the obvious answer.

Thanks, Joel.

• Options
    edited November -1
    If you email me your snail mail address, I'd be happy to send you a proper rod. My email addy