In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand history

HLOUIE2HLOUIE2 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Any ideas about where I can find a late 30's early 40's review of the M1 rifle. There must have been some strong feelings about such a radical design when it came into service. hlouie

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The August 1938 issue of The American Rifleman ran an article which was far from favorable on the M1. I am sure that reprints of that article are available from the NRA. Life Magazine as well as Time Magazine also published period pieces on the M1 and once again, there was little positive to say about the rifle. In just a few years everything would change and those same magazines would be heaping praise upon John Garand's rifle. Popular Science was one of the few magazines of the time with anything good to say about the M1 and you can read about it in their December 1940 issue...If you can find a copy!
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the more interesting books on the developement of the M1 is Major Julian Hatcher's "Book of the Garand."

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Garand-Julian-S-Hatcher/dp/0882270141

Sometimes you will find one on the auction side; I didn't see one just now.

It is a great resource for anyone with Garanditis.