In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Post war S&W .22 revolver questions and opinions

NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
My neighbor has an older K frame S&W 22 revolver which has been in his family for quite a while. It was given to his Mom in the 50s and has not been shot much since. I know some of these can be worth quite a bit and some are just shooters. There is some holster wear and some light scratches but no rust. He did clean and oil it every year or so. Hope the pictures are OK.
I have been a regular reader of this forum for six years now and I think its the best one out there. I have learned so much from Bert's postings about Winchesters and so many others. This is the first real question I need answered as I have read so many things about these little neat guns. The barrel looks to be about 4"
He is thinking about selling it but has not committed yet. Any expert opinions would be appreciated.

OK, first edit. Thanks Ruff. With your help I finally figured it out. Hope this helps. Again, thanks for all the info.
Thor

[img][/img]img1495dv.th.jpg
img1496jt.th.jpg
img1494ew.th.]
img1489nw.th.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/img1492yr.jpg/
img1495dv.jpg
By letshammer at 2011-08-30
img1496jt.jpg
img1494ew.jpg
img1492yr.jpg
img1490wi.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it's a Pre Model 18, (Combat Masterpiece), circa 1952.

Not as common as the Pre 17, 6" target .22 with the patridges.

With the wear and scratches as noted, probably grade out as being in very good condition. Because of this it's not going to be high dollar for a collector. Tell him to sit on it till things get a lot better for the economy, not likely he' going to get top buck for a what amounts to a shooter, now. Fair price if you want to buy it off him would probably be in the $400 range, IMHO.

EDIT #1, For making your photos larger, notice the computer code next to each one of your thumbnail photos. You have to insert the following code in brackets before and after the code to have your photos show full size "img" "/img". If you have any kids around the house even youngens, you might ask them. It's really scary considering all the bad stuff on the net, but even the little ones know 10 times more about computers then any of the old farts like us.

EDIT #2, From the absence of blue on the ejector rod, it appears to have been shot quite a bit over the years. If your figuring on buying it, make sure it's in time and locks up tight. No telling how many folks have had their hands on a 50+ years old revolver, and what they have or haven't done to it?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you post any item with photos, press the PREVIEW button first. If your pictures look like they are about 1" high then, that's the way they will look to us when you POST; go back & figure out what you did wrong. We really need to see full size photos.

What is your question about the gun?

Neal

EDIT: I concur with Rufe-snow, it's technically a "K-22 Combat Masterpiece". A few years later when S&W began model numbers, this model would be stamped "MOD 18" on the side of the frame. I would think that a fair price between friends would be in the $300-350 range. And, you did a great job on the new photos; you learn pretty fast for a young whippersnapper.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the pics. I read how to do it several times and I have no idea how to enlarge them.
    The questions I have should have been written better. What model is it?, When was it made? How much is it worth? Is it rare? Is it collectable [Ruff may have answered that]? There is no model number on the barrel or on the inside when the cylinder is opened. The serial number is on the bottom of the grip and is K 169375. I think that is about it. Normal questions novices like myself ask. If anyone wants pictures sent to them let me know. I would be glad to. Kinda wish the forum server was large enough to host pics like the auction side has. Uploading to sell items is quite easy compared to this. Not complaining, its just much more difficult for baby boomers like myself who were raised with pencil and paper. Thanks again for any expert advice.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur with rufe-snow as to what it is and the value.

The slots in the screw heads not being damaged is a pretty good sign that "bubba" has not been inside to "improve the trigger pull".
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I still had my 6" version. If you intend to shoot the pistol I think you will be very pleased. Of course it will do better with good ammo but it can digest the bulk pack crap without jamming.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As mentioned, its a precursor to the Smith model 18 which is a .22 caliber double action revolver with adjustable sights built on the medium ("K") frame of the typical .38/.357 military police revolver. Note the slanted "combat" type ramp front sight designed not to snag on a holster during draw.

They're not rare in the absolute sense, though the short barreled ramp sight model is rarer than the longer barrelled target sight model. Like all the older Smith revolvers, these are becoming increasingly collectable. Unfortunately, the one you depict has enough wear on it to make it of little interest to serious collectors, especially lacking the original box and papers or any notable provenance. (EG if you can prove it was owned Its a "shooter" (ie a perfectly functional gun, best used for actual shooting).

My opinion is, regardless of the actual dollar value (and I agree $375 would be a fair price give or take some), if your neighbor has *ANY* interest in owning a firearm or shooting, then he shouldn't sell it.

Smith K-frame .22 revolvers are great shooters with great single and double-action trigger pulls, and are usually highly accurate, cheap and fun to shoot. That particular model gun would make an awesome first gun for a new shooter, a great training tool (for a new or experienced shooter), and a potentially great gun for hunting small game.

On top of that, with this older guns blued steel, all forged parts, pinned barrel, lack of external safety lock, they just don't make them like "that" anymore, and they probably never will.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all very much. This is the information he was looking for. This is his only gun and he is thinking of selling/upgrading to a more modern firearm like a Glock or Beretta for home defence or when shtf. Unfortunatly I told him that I thought the value would be higher from some of my research on this site and the auction site.
    Again thank you.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod
    Thank you all very much. This is the information he was looking for. This is his only gun and he is thinking of selling/upgrading to a more modern firearm like a Glock or Beretta for home defence or when shtf. Unfortunatly I told him that I thought the value would be higher from some of my research on this site and the auction site.
    Again thank you.

Well, I think a swap for a used Glock or Beretta in good condition would be a reasonable trade.

However, may I suggest something different?

His gun is highly similar externally and in feel to the Smith and Wesson model 19 "Combat magnum" in .357 magnum, a gun that was for decades THE standard police issue sidearm. These can still be had in excellent condition for about $400, and like the model 18, they are also becoming increasingly valuable with time.

May I suggest keeping the Smith 18 for practice, target, and recreational shooting, and then getting a Smith model 19 for "serious" defense use?

As it happens, I personally use a Smith 19 for my own home defense needs, even though I have plenty of autos I could pick from. Why?

A revolver is more reliable than any auto, has no magazine to accidentally drop or lose, easier to maintain, no safety to accidentally engage or forget to disengage when the adrenaline is pumping, more powerful than the most common/popular auto calibers, and particularly easy to shoot well. Its also a "common platform" with my carry revolver, and its easy for my SO to shoot as well. ("Less is more").

Capacity is lower than an auto, yes, and its slower to reload, but a. 6 shots ought to be plenty, and b. With all the extra practice he'll get shooting fun and inexpensive .22s, his proficiency with the gun should be relatively high.

Smith model 19-5, "combat magnum":
    101-0181_IMG.jpg?t=1241887338