In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Comp Commander

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited September 2011 in Ask the Experts
Recently purchased a Colt Comp Commander, has matte SS frame, blue slide with twin-port compensator. Left side of slide is stamped Colt Comp Commander, right side of slide stamped Combat Commander Model. Have not been able to come across any info pertaining to this pistol. Have called COLT, but, they can only tell me it was a ( 1 ) year production ( 1998 ) only, and it did come out/from the Custom Shop. Since this pistol has been shot, don't see any reason to get a letter from Colt. Can anyone tell me more about this pistol, only one I have ever seen.

Charles

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I saw one of these on the auction site and missed the Buy by about 5 minutes. Broke my heart. Now my quest is to find one of these guns. It's a Commander with a factory compensator. Has a black slide and satin stainless frame.Anybody seen one of these and/or know of one for sale?Mudge
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok guys, i consider myself pretty well versed in the various 1911's out there but ive recently come across one that i have no clue about. i cant even find a listing in any of the last 10 issues of fjestads blue book of gun values. any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. what i have is a colt combat commander two tone pistol. on the left side of the slide it says...COLT COMP COMMANDER, on the other side it says COMBAT COMMANDER MODEL. the frame is brush stainless (as best i can tell) and the slide is matte blue/parkerized? the pistol has a compensator on the end thats approx. 1/2" long. from what i can gather it was made sometime around 7-10 years ago and ran in the $900-$1000 price range. this gun has a 3 digit serial number on it. any help in identifying this pistol as well as when it was made, how many were made and an idea of its value would really make my day. thanks.
    another quick note...this pistol is easily 98%, the original owner only shot one mag thru it.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure that it was FACTORY? What was the exact name of the model? I'm not aware that Colt made a compensated commander. They made a full-sized compensated model called the "Custom Compensated Model .45 ACP". It would help if you had the box label information.Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mr. Myers....I think you're right. I printed a picture of the gun off the auction site and now that I look at it more closely, it does appear to be a full size 1911. The guy had it listed as "Colt Comp. Commander" and said there were only 500 made. I'd be glad to post a picture of it if I could figure out how to do that. Thanks for your clarification.Mudge
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, Colt did make a 500-run special edition of the Combat Commander with a compensator, in 1998. It also had a full-length guide rod, beavertail safety, slotted hammer, and Novak sights.I'd imagine it would be $800-$900 when you find one, if not more.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one. yes, id sell it to the right person for the right price (note, i didnt say highest price...depends on the person)...it is a factory colt piece, comes from the custom shop. has low profile 3 dot sights, everythign dehorned so it wont snag when you draw it, factory compensator, full length guide rod, 2 stainless mags, beveled mag well, beavertail grip safety with "memory groove" i think they call it, nice clean breaking trigger, and a pretty blue foam lined box. grips are pretty neat, checkered wood with a sort of tiger stripe pattern in the wood. welcome to e-mail me if you wish, might be able to supply a picture of it, and i know of another for sale if you want me to ask its owner how much. does that help? oh, there were 1000 made, not 500. my email is axlerfan@aol.com
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine better [:D]. Mine was worked over by Ed Brown. Mini-Comp. Pretty much looks like scottm21166's linky but without the side ports and the full length rod ended at the slide. Also that one's much less than what I paid for mines.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let it go; it's been 10 years.

Neal
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Let it go; it's been 10 years.

Neal

LOL..I hadn't ever seen a comp commander so I did an online search to see what I could find out about them. this was the first link, ten years later...I guess they must be rare