In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

walther P-1 C&R eligable?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
need to know if the walther P-1 pistols are C&R eligable? thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The P1's were made for the West German Army, they should have a 2 digit proof date on the slide. I doubt if you find any dated prior to 1962 though, which would make the C & R eligible.

EDIT #1, I stand corrected, if the BATF has classified a firearm as a C & R, that's what it is. No matter it's age.

You might consider going to the BATF's web site concerning any similar questions in the future. I believe all the up to date latest determinations regarding firearms, they classify as C & R would be listed on it.

Lot of times on the auctions you have these jokers trying to shuck and jive you into selling guns as C & R's even when they aren't. That what I thought the OP was alluding to in his post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i called sog and they said that they are c&r. thing is that a gun doesnt have to be 50 years old to qualify. like sks's. they make a certain model c&r, regaurdless of year it was made.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AIM Surplus shipped a P1 to me in 2011 on a C&R. Their management is pretty sharp, & up to date on all federal/local laws. So, my guess is that they have documentation from ATF classifying the P1 as C&R. (In prior years, AIM required an FFL.)

Neal

EDIT 1: Well, I, too, would like to see these decisions in writing or on the ATF website, but it doesn't look like that will happen. A couple of anti-gun members of Congress have put riders on the Treasury appropriations bills that prohibit ATF from spending money on projects that would make rulings clearer. The Walther P1 was also used by German police agencies, like the Czech CZ-50 & CZ-70 & Romanian TT-33, which we know ATF has determined are C&R. So, it appears that the importers are requesting (& getting) C&R status for European police pistols < 50 years old.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks neal. just double checking before i ship.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    someone petioned the ATF for C&R status just like the CZ82