In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hornady leverevolution bullets .357 dia

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
anyone have first hand experience with these plastic tipped bullets in
38 special tubular magazine. Any feeding problems, expansion, increased performance, load data,overall length loaded, velocity. thankyou.

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't tried them in a 38 Special tubular magazine but haven't had much luck with them in a Winchester in 45 Colt. When the bullet is loaded deep enough to feed in the action it is too deep in the case to allow crimping. I'm still working on a solution for the 45 Colt but suspect the same issue might occur in a 357/38 Special lever action.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion on shortening the 45 Colt cases. Now that I think about it that ought to work, I'll try it. . .as soon as temps drop enough that I can load in the garage again.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were designed for lever action rifles, not sure why you are having problems in your Winchester. I need to buy a box and try them in my 92 and 94.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22hipower I have two thoughts for your problem. A shorter case like a Schofield to use the factory cannelure or roll in an new one.
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22hipower
    Haven't tried them in a 38 Special tubular magazine but haven't had much luck with them in a Winchester in 45 Colt. When the bullet is loaded deep enough to feed in the action it is too deep in the case to allow crimping. I'm still working on a solution for the 45 Colt but suspect the same issue might occur in a 357/38 Special lever action.

When using the FTX bullets, you have to trim the case to a shorter length...for the 45 Colt, normal case trim length is 1.275", using the FTX bullets, you must trim to 1.215" (from the Hornady reloading book, 8th Ed.)
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaegermister
    anyone have first hand experience with these plastic tipped bullets in 38 special tubular magazine. Any feeding problems, expansion, increased performance, load data,overall length loaded, velocity. thankyou.

In looking at the Hornady reloading book, I don't see any loads/case lengths listed for the FTX bullet...may not be compatible, possibly? For 357 Mag, it lists the trim to length as 1.240", instead of the normal 1.280".