In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When was this gun made

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington model 11 with serial #95797 i was wondering when it was made and if its safe to shoot # 8 shot with it.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to know how old my Marlin 336, SN: 27015461 is. Can someone tell me? Thank You for any help you can give.

Phil
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave- check the barrel- left side, and half inch from the reciever. There is a 2 or 3 LETTER code. That will tell date of mfg for the barrel. If an original barrel, also DOm for gun most likely.

Key to reading codes- http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has RP so Nov 1923. Is it safe to shoot #8s in it. Or should i let her rest.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    It has RP so Nov 1923. Is it safe to shoot #8s in it. Or should i let her rest.

Your shotgun appears to be nearly 90 years old. Best thing to do would be to take it to a competent gunsmith for inspection and test firing. We have no way for ascertaining it safety for shooting, over the net.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have taken the gun apart and cleaned and inspected the gun. There appears no problems with the gun at all.

I was just wondering if a barrel from that age could handle todays shotgun shell pressures. The barrel is in great shape besides the patina.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shotshell pressures have not changed enough to matter since 1923.
    Just don't hammer it with steel shot and it will run another couple of generations.

The main thing to know is friction ring position on the Browning recoil operated action, look it up and set it to suit the shells you buy.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a semi auto shotgun that was made over 100 years ago and has a 2 1/2'' chamber, it's been used with high brass 2 3/4'' shells and it shows no signs of any sort of trouble. I don't plan on shooting any of those in it though.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    i have taken the gun apart and cleaned and inspected the gun. There appears no problems with the gun at all.

I was just wondering if a barrel from that age could handle todays shotgun shell pressures. The barrel is in great shape besides the patina.

You have to be kidding, right? That shotgun was designed by John Moses Browning, and was designed for smokeless powder. It will handle a busload of #8's, but there is something you should check. That something, is the chamber length. If it is a chamber for 2 3/4" shells you are ok. If not, then it is chambered for 2 9/16, and you can, and will run into problems with 2 3/4" ammunition, unless you have a competant gunsmith do a conversion for you.

Best
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave, the M11 was built to outlast several generations and will handle any 2 3/4" lead load you want to use in it, to include buckshot.

Make certain the recoil cushion in the rear of the receiver is in good condition. You don't want any swelling or seperation in the cushion or big cracks around the rivet. If you can move it around on the rivet it needs replaced.

To the best of my knowledge all of the M11's had 2 3/4" chambers, to include the 16 gauge guns.

let me know if you need anything else