In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Target stands "why 6ft?"

tippmannlovertippmannlover Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
Does target stand have to be 6 ft? I purchased a resealable impact target that spins when hit and seals up the hole after it is shot. There's no deflection of any sort. It only comes with a 2 ft stand. I called my outdoor range to see if it is ok to bring your own targets stand. They said its ok, but it has to be 6 ft tall. Apparently it's not 6 ft. Why would they sell these targets at local gun shop if you can't use it at ranges? I got mine at Dicks Sporting Goods. They all come with this height. I can't its for backyard shooting because I live in NY. The backstop at the range is a huge dirt mound about 5 storie high like a quarry.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    inflection/deflection issue.

at close(r) ranges that are further from the berm, if your are shooting down low enough there may be a ricochet up and over the berm. Or rather, the chances of this happening go up dramatically.

At the range I use the 200 yard berm (really at about 210) is 40 feet tall, and you aren't allowed to shoot at anything closer than 50 yards (there are 2 short range ranges - 45y each - available as well).
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Range rules vary.

The prime directive on targets is generally: "Your rounds must impact the berm for maximum safety." So, the height of your target/target stand, the distance to the berm, & your type of shooting (standing, bench height, prone, etc) will all have an effect on where the bullets impact.

Some ranges permit 2' targets when placed directly in front of the berm; apparently yours doesn't.

Neal
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always thought most targets of this type were meant for less-formal ranges (i.e., on public lands, or personal ranges -- ranges with no declared range officers)
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LLama+1
    Ranges want all bullets to strike a berm.
    With short target frames, you'll probably ricochet over berms unless the target frames are right in front of the berms.