In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Kimber experts-help!

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Kimber Pro carry II that is having feeding problems which I believe are related to the extractor. However looking at the Kimber website I cannot find any replacement extractors. This one is an external one similar to the Smith&Wesson but alot shorter. It doesnt appear to be taken out by a roll pin like the Smith is. At the bottom of this extractor it is somewhat rounded similar to a controlled feed system. The problem is I cant find a schematic of it or replacement part to compare it too. I dont know if its supposed to be this way or not. I need to order one ASAP as this is my duty weapon. Is this type of extractor not made any more? I would like to get one ordered before monday, assuming Kimber still makes them. thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You sure it's the extractor? I always thought the exractor dealt with removing and not feeding. I'd take a tooth brush and some Hoppe 9 and clean that area. If that don't help I'd take her to a gunsmith for a looksy. Or at the very least go find another one at the shops to compare.

Personally I think it's the magazine or the recoil spring.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=465974

Try some other brand of factory ammo. Use a p-tube on wd-40 and wash out the area under the extractor. Look at the extractor's working surface with a good hand lens, inspect the spent brass for clues.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that is your duty weapon, and is not department issued, then you need to get rid of it, and get a Wilson, or Para Ordnance...in that order. Yes, I know the Wilson is pricey, but it is your life depending on it, not mine, and if it were, I already have Wilsons that I carry.

Best
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is happening with the same ammo you have used in the past, I would after a good scrubbing around the extractor and lube, replace the springs with a wolff spring pack, and switch to Wilson magazines. These are are fast and inexpensive fixes that more then likely then not make your Kimber run like new.
  • Options
    telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Wilson combat mags and I just replaced the recoil spring with a brand new one from Wolf. I have cleaned the area well and looked for any deformities. The extractor seems to snap over the cartridge as it comes out of the magazine which is where it binds the round on reloading after shooting it for some time.(several mags). So far I have just used 230gr Remington factory stuff.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a professional gunsmith go through and examine it and rule out the guessing part, save alot of time, money and avoid possibly making it worse. For quality 1911's though its Colt, Wilson, Para-Ordnance which are all excellent choices for carry and dependance...
    Mad at Springfield so their out for me although they do make a quality 1911 and I am sure that they couldn't give a hoot since I don't exist. I don't like S&W 1911's because they aren't cosmetically close enough to the Colt 1911 although they are a quality 1911 as well, which is ironic because I like the piston driven S&W PSX MP15 over the Colt 6940 AR15...Just my .02...
    I have to say though that I do like the looks of the Kimber Ultra RCP II which is worth a look, but not sure how they run yet.

Regards