In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thumbhole Imbel Century 308 Question

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in Ask the Experts
This kind of rifle is what I bought recently which was a bargain with a Ibel receiver! So it's a thumb-hole configuration stock with no flash-hider but it was inexpensive.The lady shooting I have no idea who she is. Doe anyone know how to break in and dial the gas system and break in the barrel because the seller said un fired condition.I know it's a Frankenstein century yet I can afford to get work on it on the price I payed for it! [:D]

serf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9bLZ4gW88

Comments

• Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are some good instructions for the FAl...
    http://www.falfiles.com/gas.html

Imho however you will be much better off in the longrun going with either a DSArms FAL or PTR91 G3/Cetme...Century builds jam-matic-junk unfortunately. And no matter how many times or ways that CAI is portrayed by the misinformed that they are an okay builder the facts speak for themselves that they are definitely NOT and should not build and just import only...

Regards
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it an inch kit built on metric or is it a metric on metric? Century made both ... If metric, the bolt will hold open when you pull the charging handle back with an empty mag in the gun. And, if you have an inch gun you can put a different BHO that will make it work like a metric.

Anyway... to adjust gas.

If your gun locks back on an empty mag - start with gas mostly open (venting and not sending to piston) and one round in the mag. Charge the gun, shoot. Should short stroke. Close gas a notch or two, repeat. Keep going until bolt locks back on empty mag, then one more click for reliability.

If your gun does not lock back on an empty mag - start with gas mostly closed (to piston not venting) and a full mag. Decrease gas by a click or two until the rifle short strokes, then increase gas by 2 clicks.

Edited to reflect post below.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most of the Century thumbholes have the BHO plunger's pin ground off so it does not do what it's supposed to do.