In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bolt Action 5.45x39?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
What caliber would take the least amount of work to get a bolt gun in 545x39? I think it would make a easy to shot all day, accurate plinker/varmint gun.

Comments

• llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd look at either the CZ 727 or the Zastava mini-mausers

Edit - Just saw this custom straight pull "bolt action" SKS ... could maybe do something similar?

{Elsewhere}
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might luck out and actually be able to buy one. Century Arms sold a number back in the 90's. They had been made and used in East Germany, prior to the reunification of Germany. The way they were set up, made me think they were running Boar guns.

Personally I think you would be way better off, with one chambered for .223.

EDIT #1,

Found a pic of one of the East German 5.45 X 39's, on the net.

Edit #2,

"These Steyr made SSG 82 rifles are extremely hard to find; my understanding is that Century arms only imported about 600 of them."

Believe these rifles were made in the East German City of Suhl. By the Ernst Thalmann Works. Which was the primary East German firearms manufacturer.

EDIT #3

Be advised that the bore diameter for the Savage .223 rifles. That the aftermarket outfit converts to 5.45 X 39. Is .003 oversize for the 5.45 X 39 cartridge.

All they do is open up the bolt face by approximately .020, and rechamber the .223 to 5.45 X 39. Since the Russian military bullet is .003 smaller in diameter. Likely accuracy will be negatively affected.

left.jpg
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any rifle chambered for the 7.62x39 would work well. That said, CZ made/makes a Model 527 carbine, in 223 Remington, and 7.62x39. Simple as having it rebarreled.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-carbine/

Best
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure rebarreling a 7.62x39 would work. The bolt face for the 7.62x39 and the 5.45x39 are NOT the same. The 5.45x39 is smaller.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7.62x39 and the 5.45x39 are NOT the same
    That is correct. While some designs might work, I doubt the Sako type extractor on the Mini-Mauser will grab the 5.45 extractor groove.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    You might luck out and actually be able to buy one. Century Arms sold a number back in the 90's. They had been made and used in East Germany, prior to the reunification of Germany. The way they were set up, made me think they were running Boar guns.

Personally I think you would be way better off, with one chambered for .223.

These Steyr Suhl made SSG 82 rifles are extremely hard to find; my understanding is that Century arms only imported about 600 of them.

If you can even locate one for sale, you should expect to pay at least $1000 for it. Also, supposedly, they don't like the cheap mil surp ammo that much, they're not that durable, and parts are effectively impossible to locate.

IMO, if you want a "least work" bolt gun in 5.45x39, your best bet is to neuter an Ak-74, or a Saiga, and make it a manual action!

If you want something a little more "serious", CMP Armory out of NC will convert a Savage Bolt action into 5.45x39 at a reasonable cost. They'll also sell you an entire gun fairly cheap. This is the route, I'd go, IIWY.

http://cmparmory.com/

Edit quote:Believe these rifles were made in the East German City of Suhl. By the Ernst Thalmann Works. Which was the primary East German firearms manufacturer.
    Yes, you're right there.

quote:When you start "converting" anything, you're buying parts you don't need and paying someone to remove them before starting to put on the parts you want.
    You're absolutely correct, of course, but I think you still have to look at the "big picture" of what the whole project is going to cost, and what its worth to you when its done. In some cases, you can sell off removed like-new parts to partially defray costs of replacements. "Converting" into a caliber this way is still probably going to be quite a bit cheaper than the alternative of "building entirely from scratch"!

In this particular case, even though you're basically getting rid of brand new parts, Savage guns are relatively inexpensive to start with. Most of the cost of this project is in the cost of the replacement barrel and labor cost of the modification; the original barrel probably isn't worth all that much and removing it isn't particularly hard.

Total cost of the entire project (including new gun AND conversion) is only about $500. I don't know what this company does with the original barrel, but they might even give it back to you.

Edit #2.
    quote:What Savage bolt action rifle do they start with?
    Don't know. If you have questions, ask them:
    quote:
    Savage 5.45

Complete gun without scope, threaded muzzel [sic] to 1/2 28 $490.00 plus shipping.
    Complete gun with scope, threaded muzzel to 1/2 28 $500.00 plus shipping.
    Converting your gun with threaded muzzel to 1/2 28 $200.00 plus shipping.
    Questions on process email us at cmparmory@msn.com

Return Shipping - $25
    Insured Return Shipping - $35
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If you want something a little more "serious", CMP Armory out of NC will convert a Savage Bolt action into 5.45x39 at a reasonable cost. They'll also sell you an entire gun fairly cheap. This is the route, I'd go, IIWY."

My thoughts also. When you start "converting" anything, you're buying parts you don't need and paying someone to remove them before starting to put on the parts you want.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Savage bolt action rifle do they start with?
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:"If you want something a little more "serious", CMP Armory out of NC will convert a Savage Bolt action into 5.45x39 at a reasonable cost. They'll also sell you an entire gun fairly cheap. This is the route, I'd go, IIWY."

My thoughts also. When you start "converting" anything, you're buying parts you don't need and paying someone to remove them before starting to put on the parts you want.

I called them & at the moment there not taking on new orders.[:(]

quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    What Savage bolt action rifle do they start with?

They started with a Savage Axis 223.
  • spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short action Savage bolt action would be the way to go.

I assume you would be shooting the cheap military rounds which have corrosive primers. After shooting it, you really need to clean it with lots of hot soapy water before wiping the bore dry and oiling. Also, the 5.45X39mm bullet is less than 0.224 inch. So getting the correct barrel or reloading for it would be problematic.

Don't get a SSG-82. It was a complete flop and the two articles I've read about it couldn't determine its purpose and described its function as prone to jamming, broken extractors, hard chambering, inaccurate except with some brands of expensive European manufactured ammmo, etc. Surprisely enough I seen asking prices for them at more than $2k - Think Pink Elephant.