In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 mini mag

orange1075orange1075 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
What is a 22 mini mag round ? Can they be used in a gun that takes a 22LR ? Thanks Gerry

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Mini Mag is simply a trade named owned by CCI for a brand of .22 LR ammuniiton produced by that company.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0030
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. It's my go-to ammo. If a firearm won't work with Mini-Mags, more than likely something is wrong with the gun.

CCI22LRMiniMagHS.jpg
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Yes. It's my go-to ammo. If a firearm won't work with Mini-Mags, more than likely something is wrong with the gun.

CCI22LRMiniMagHS.jpg

+1. IMO it is the best quality of the U.S. made non target ammo.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by orange1075
    What is a 22 mini mag round ? Can they be used in a gun that takes a 22LR ? Thanks Gerry

See above.

Not only "can" these be used in 22LR guns, they can ONLY really be used in .22LR guns!

The CCI mini mags are otherwise ordinary .22LR rounds using copper plated solid round nose 40 grain (ie full weight) bullets, loaded to high velocities.

The rounds themselves are more expensive than most .22s, but this type of ammo was designed specifically to ensure reliable function in *ALL* .22LR guns.

So as mentioned, if your gun won't run these reliably, chances are good it won't run ANY ammo reliably. Consequently, lots of people recommend using these in "picky" 22 guns that wont run right with other ammo.

Good luck finding any in today's marketplace though. . .all 22LR ammo is still in short supply, and I think shortages will still persist for at least six more months into mid 2014 (if not longer).
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Please reference above picture, and this applies to any mfg. No matter what the round is named , in this case Mini-Mag on the box somewhere will be it's size.
    In this case it is listed as 22 LR CRN 40 grain, this means it is a 22 long rifle, copper round nose bullet with a bullet weight of 40 grains
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

CCI22LRMiniMagHS.jpg

+1. IMO it is the best quality of the U.S. made non target ammo.

+2.....It has never failed to function in any firearm I have used it in.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Rufe-Snow on this one.
    Over the years I've tested dozens of .22 fodder in scores of long and short guns. Mini-Mags have come out 1st for accuracy more than any other and 1st or second in all.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The copper washed bullet does reduce leading and that can be a real plus.