In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win. Model 12 Black Diamond

PillowvillePillowville Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
1955 mfg. 12 ga. Should this gun have Trap stamped below the serial number on the receiver? Stock is a high dollar custom with ornate black diamonds inlaid into the grip cap and bottom center of the forearm. The grip cap is made from Birds Eye Maple. The vent rib is stamped Simmons on the left side. I read that Simmons put the ribs on these Winchesters at this time but not their name. The gun has been re-blued and has no engraving. My customer thinks he has a custom gun from Winchester but I have questions. I'm not an appraiser or collector unless you count stray cats and dogs. I do general repairs. Jack of all guns, master of none. I suspect that this is a dressed up common model 12. Thanks. Jim

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has been reblued, and unless there is a letter from Cody saying so, it doesn't matter what it is. The refinish will kill the value.

Best
  • Options
    PillowvillePillowville Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not really trying to come up with a value. Customer has about $550. into the gun. I understand the value loss when refinished. I talk people out of refinishing a collectable all the time and explain to them why. Just looking to identify this shotgun. Is it or is it not a Black Diamond. I have returned the gun to the customer and don't have pictures. He could possibly get much of his money back selling the stock. It is top quality work. Lot of figure and detailed inlays. Problem is that this man believes he has a custom Black Diamond and I question wether it is a Black Diamond at all.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be marked -TRAP- under the serial number.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim,

It certainly sounds like a dressed up Field grade gun. The stocks are not factory. One thing to look for is the Winchester Proof mark on the barrel.
  • Options
    gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they did not make black diamond model 12s in the 50s