In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 65 218 bee. Part 2

Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
Geri,

Your rifle was originally built as a saddle ring carbine in 44 WCF caliber. Does it have a carbine butt or crescent rifle butt? The barrel and the fore end wood are not original to the rifle.

Michael

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not possible. Would have to have been 25-20 or 32-20 and rifle, not carbine.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not possible? Why would it not be possible?
    When a gun is converted/changed just about all other bets are off![;)]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Not possible? Why would it not be possible?
    When a gun is converted/changed just about all other bets are off![;)]

The receiver frames are different for the two smaller calibers versus the two larger calibers. Specifically, the magazine tube port is larger in diameter for the 38/44 caliber Model 1892s. The 218 Bee is a necked down 25-20 cartridge, and requires the same size (smaller diameter) mag tube.

Additionally, the Model 1892 bearing the serial number in question was a SRC (with two extra holes in the receiver frame for the ring staple). I suspect the gun Geri has does not have a saddle ring or staple for it.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Geri
    Not possible. Would have to have been 25-20 or 32-20 and rifle, not carbine.

Geri,

Can you send me clear pictures of the rifle?
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi. Not my rifle. One I did a transfer on for a customer. The forend and butt plate were from a rifle not a carbine. Thanks for all the input. Geri