In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

springfield M1A, ammo question

NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
i have a M1A early model .
can a person use hunting ammo vs military or are the pressures to extreme.
i have heard one or the other and don't remember.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can, I'd worry more about slam fires than pressures.

added cut and pasted

Well I guess we will never agree.
    Here is a e-mail from Springfiled Armory Inc:

Good afternoon,
    Thank you for your email.
    The M1A rifles are designed to use either .308 commercial or 7.62X51 NATO ammo:
    308:
    -Between a 110 grain and 180 grain bullet
    -Full metal jacket, hollow point, or ballistic tip
    Do not use soft point ammo
    -Do not use "light magnum" type ammo
    -We do not recommend steel case ammo

7.62X51:
    -Clean and from sealed containers
    -NATO spec
    -Do not use "loose" or "bulk" ammo

For best accuracy use:
    -Federal Match 168 or 175 grain
    -Hornaday Match/Custom 168 grain
    -Hornaday TAP. 110 or 168 grain
    -Blackhills Match 168 or 175 grain

Mitch Prather [mprather@springfield-armory.com]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I would advise not to use any commercial ammunition, loaded to anything other than mil spec. The commercial will not blow up your gun, as it is plenty strong enough, but what it will do, is break and bend parts like the op-rod.

In most instances, the use of commercial ammunition in the M-14, M-1A's, and the like, is frowned upon by their manufacturers.

Best

EDIT 1

You could be right Charlie, on not agreeing on anything, but now, just why do they recommend not to shoot anything other than M2 Ball, or Mil-Spec match ammo in the Garand? The M-14, and M1A are the same basic mechanism. I would like to hear just how many bent op-rods, Mark Christian has seen from commercial ammunition use.

Best
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never loaded for either the M1A or the Grand. My understanding is though. That the powders used in some commercial loads are incompatible with their mechanisms. Causing them stress, and battering internal parts.

Do get away from this. It would be best if you reloaded your own ammo. Using these powders. 4895,4064, Varget or RL15.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Charlie.

More reading for you here:
    http://m14forum.com/ammunition/121408-commercial-ammo-question.html

Look at the additional links posted on that thread.

Edit: Note there was a bolt and safety recall on older Springfield M1A's.

http://m14forum.com/m14/88870-sa-inc-bolt-safety-recall-oct-31-update-good-resolution.html

quote:I found this copy of the recall on-line:

BERETTA MODEL BM-59s, RIFLES and
    GARAND MODEL M1As / M1A4s, M1

RECALL: If you own an M14 type rifle, an M1 Garand type rifle, or Beretta BM-59 rifle, a certain quantity could contain safeties that can be disengaged by applying an abnormal amount of force to the trigger, thus overriding the safety. The guns will not fire when the safety is overridden in this manner, but they will fire when the trigger is released and pulled again under normal pressure.

If you possess a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A, M1 Garand, or Beretta BM-59, you are urged to perform the following inspection procedure. (Note: before beginning, be sure to unload rifle and point muzzle in a safe direction.)

1. Begin test procedure with safety in normal "off" position.
    2. Engage the safety.
    3. Using one or two hands, pull the trigger very hard, and then release it. Repeat this procedure several times.
    4. If at any time during this test procedure you detect any forward movement in the safety, remove only the trigger group and return it to Springfield Armory, Inc.

WARNING: If during the above test procedure the safety moves forward on your rifle, you are urged to remove only the trigger group and return it immediately to Springfield Armory using either of the following procedures:

A. Write to Springfield Armory requesting special mailing label, shipping container, and return instructions. Write to:
    Springfield Armory, Inc.
    RE-1 420 West Main Street
    Geneseo, IL 61254

B. Or, call Springfield Armory on this toll-free number and request return instructions: 1-800-223-5708. Illinois residents call collect: (309) 944-5631.
    M1A Bolts

Some M1A bolts manufactured by Springfield Armory, Inc. might not function reliably. If you have a Springfield Armory M1A bolt with any of the following markings, contact Springfield Armory, Inc. as outlined in steps A or B above for replacement.

The bolts in question are marked as follows:

No numerical or alphabetical characteristics on either top or back of bolt (completely unmarked).
    Any bolt with any numerical or alphabetical markings at all on the back of the bolt.
    Any bolt with the top marked "7790185" and with "SA RRR" centered below that number.
    Any bolt with the top marked "790185" and with "SA" centered below that number.

Springfield Armory, Inc. regrets any inconvenience caused by the return of any firearm affected by this notice. Repairs will be completed in the shortest possible time, and all service, parts, and shipping costs will be the responsibility of Springfield Armory, Inc.

Source:
    Guns & Ammo, December 1987; page 91
    Guns & Ammo, March 1988; page 14
    Shooting Times, January 1988; page 67
    California Department of Justice Firearms Safety Note 88-1

I edited this to restore the paragraph breaks that were lost when I pasted it here.

Thanks,
    Cass

You can get a good idea as to when your rifle built here:
    http://m14forum.com/reference/6748-sa-inc-m1a-serial-number-born-date-database-000001-100000-a.html
    3rd post in thread.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,408 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    just why do they recommend not to shoot anything other than M2 Ball, or Mil-Spec match ammo in the Garand?.....The M-14, and M1A are the same basic mechanism.
    Best
    Yes, but the gas system operates a bit differently in the M14/M1A. This could explain the wider range of acceptable bullet weights and operating pressures in the M14 types as opposed to the M1.
  • Options
    fullcaseloadfullcaseload Member Posts: 224 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like I read you could change the gas orifice to match the pressures of different ammo so as not to bend the op rod. (I didn't follow up on it as my Garand is somebody else's now).