In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Scopes and Hard Grease

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
Original topic locked but promised to report back on the two inquiries suggested.
"Iron Sight"; after doing some research I decided to not call. Sounds like, at best, huge backlog and extended turn-around times.
Did call the other "ABO (USA) Inc."
Got an extended automated response. Bottom line, send us the scope with $65.00 for basic repair and they're notify if it will be more. They specialize in Redfield and Tasco but do work on others subject to the need for, and availability of, parts.
Hope this helps. I'm still looking for the "home cure". Not sure my Beeman scope is worth the $$ and bother. I did try wrapping the objective bell in a hot rice bag and working things back and forth. Freed up some indoors, but at 17 degrees F. still locked solid.
All for now. Happy New Year!
UPDATE:
Have decided to forge ahead on my own. Fingers crossed and cautiously optimistic.
RE: 66R Blue Ribbon 2-7 32 A.O. scope with stiff AO ring. Found that by loosening the 3 small screws on the far forward ring, objective end, I was able to unscrew that ring and then screw off the A.O. adjusting ring exposing lots of old grease. Don't believe I've compromised the integrity of the tube interior though time may prove me wrong. Ready to reassemble with a very thin coating of light, cold temp grease.
ONLY PROBLEM : How do I determine how far to screw the AO ring in before reattaching the outer ring so that the distance calibrations are correct? Close up pics gladly emailed if you think you might be able to help. Sorry I can't include them here. (Old machine, weak brain combo!) Thanks, Rob

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    REPOSTED AS PREVIOUS EDIT DOESN'T SHOW UP AS NEW INFORMATION.

Original topic locked but promised to report back on the two inquiries suggested.
    "Iron Sight"; after doing some research I decided to not call. Sounds like, at best, huge backlog and extended turn-around times.
    Did call the other "ABO (USA) Inc."
    Got an extended automated response. Bottom line, send us the scope with $65.00 for basic repair and they're notify if it will be more. They specialize in Redfield and Tasco but do work on others subject to the need for, and availability of, parts.
    Hope this helps. I'm still looking for the "home cure". Not sure my Beeman scope is worth the $$ and bother. I did try wrapping the objective bell in a hot rice bag and working things back and forth. Freed up some indoors, but at 17 degrees F. still locked solid.
    All for now. Happy New Year!
    UPDATE:
    Have decided to forge ahead on my own. Fingers crossed and cautiously optimistic.
    RE: 66R Blue Ribbon 2-7 32 A.O. scope with stiff AO ring. Found that by loosening the 3 small screws on the far forward ring, objective end, I was able to unscrew that ring and then screw off the A.O. adjusting ring exposing lots of old grease. Don't believe I've compromised the integrity of the tube interior though time may prove me wrong. Ready to reassemble with a very thin coating of light, cold temp grease.
    ONLY PROBLEM : How do I determine how far to screw the AO ring in before reattaching the outer ring so that the distance calibrations are correct? Close up pics gladly emailed if you think you might be able to help. Sorry I can't include them here. (Old machine, weak brain combo!) Thanks, Rob