In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unaltered Mauser Verguiero

wallacegwallaceg Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a pristine 1904 Verguiero Mauser in original 6.5X58mm. I am getting ready to list it on GunBroker and I am at a lost to what it may be worth. Any one want to venture a educated guess?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser-Vergueiro

One in 8mm http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=384088245

not a lot listed in completed auctions either. only 32 hits with mauser vergueiro

pristine military rifle are worth more than ones bubba got to.

added
    google had one still in 6.5 (90+%) listed elsewhere for estimated 200 to 400.

Looks straight to me. Please post a link when you list it. I didn't sign up to see what that other rifle actually sold for.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality close-up photos.

Instructions for posting photos at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

My understanding, the only original 6.5 Vergueiro's. Came from their colonies in Africa after the Portugese were run out. In the 70's/80's time frame. Most weren't in great shape.

If it's a reworked 1904/39, that another story entirely.

EDIT #1,

Looks to be in good shape and original. Not likely to be one of the ones that came out of Africa. If it checks out, with a hands-on from a knowledgeable military collector/dealer? Probably worth substantially more than the BB's estimate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rifle is totally not altered from its original 1904 state. 6.5 is not xx out, no hole on left side, sight has not been shaved, barrel is original length, still 6.5 caliber. Blue Book of Gun Values list a 98% at $650.00 (does not differentiate between original or altered)See pictures.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106778507377288493651/1904MauserVerguiero?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJy4r7GTz8uFrwE&feat=directlink
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am a collector/dealer. I am I'm the process of selling my 71 Mausers that I have collected over the last 30 years. Just having a hard time finding information on this specific Mauser. I can find all kinds of info about the converted ones. I guess I will start with a high reserve and see what kind of response I get. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A pristine 8mm conversion would go for about $300-$350, IMO. The original is a mixed bag. on one hand, unaltered increases rarity and therefore demand; on the other hand, it is unlikely to get as much attention as it is hard to come by ammo.

I'd start it at $600 and see what happens.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    A pristine 8mm conversion would go for about $300-$350, IMO. The original is a mixed bag. on one hand, unaltered increases rarity and therefore demand; on the other hand, it is unlikely to get as much attention as it is hard to come by ammo.

I'd start it at $600 and see what happens.

Not likely, IMHO. If it is the real McCoy, 04 Vergueiro. Vetted by a very knowledgeable collector. Would it be bought for shooting. Very likely, to be a big buck item. It would go into the gun safe, not to be used as a blaster at the range.

Years ago I heard a story about a collector. Who just had to shoot, a one of a kind Jap copy of a Grand. They had to haul him off to the hospital, when it self destructed. When he pulled the trigger. Besides winding up in the hospital with the medical bills. He totaled a rifle worth thousands on the collectors market.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be interested, but never bid on reserve auctions. Start at a price you would be willing to sell for and see where it goes. If it doesn't sell drop the price 10%-20% and start again.

I have a 1904 Verguiero Mauser in 6.5X58mm too. Took years to get all the correct parts to put together. And only have 10 shells for it (took forever to find that). Always looking for orginal. Not the cut-down 8 MM version.

I also have a salesman sample in 7mm Mauser.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will be listing the rifle this week sometime. Probably will start the bid at $1200.00 and see what happens.

quote:Originally posted by hoosier
    I'd be interested, but never bid on reserve auctions. Start at a price you would be willing to sell for and see where it goes. If it doesn't sell drop the price 10%-20% and start again.

I have a 1904 Verguiero Mauser in 6.5X58mm too. Took years to get all the correct parts to put together. And only have 10 shells for it (took forever to find that). Always looking for orginal. Not the cut-down 8 MM version.

I also have a salesman sample in 7mm Mauser.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallaceg
    I am a collector/dealer. I am I'm the process of selling my 71 Mausers that I have collected over the last 30 years. Just having a hard time finding information on this specific Mauser. I can find all kinds of info about the converted ones. I guess I will start with a high reserve and see what kind of response I get. Thanks for your input.

If you're a "collector/dealer" than you probably have more of an idea of what this could be worth to other collectors than most.

As I'm sure you know the problem estimating a value with this sort of gun is that there are so few comparable ones recently sold to have some sort of fair market comparison. Since almost all the value of this gun is as a collectors piece, comparisions to modified/sporterized versions of same aren't really appropriate.

This is probably one of those cases where the gun "could" be worth a lot to the right Mauser collector. The issue is that finding that "right person" could be hard.

I think the question here isn't really what its "worth" (which in a case like this is a bit hard to pinpoint), but how much would you need to get to make you happy in selling it.

Personally my guess is that your asking price of $1200 won't draw any bids for a while and if you want the gun to actually move you'll have to lower it. FWIW, I'd imagine this has to be C&R eligible, and you probably should mention that in your ad.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallaceg

wallaceg.....I, too, am a collector but not a dealer and I am also selling some of my 40 year collection and giving the dough to my kids and grandkids before I pass to that great "gunsafe" in the sky! I suggest you set a realistic minimum price that you would accept and go from there but everything will depend on how bad you want to sell this rifle. I just sold a 1938 Polish Radom Eagle P35 in a correct Waffenmarked holster for $600 more than I paid for it several years ago.....to another collector who might or might not sell it and make some profit. I don't give my stuff away but on the otherhand I am realistic about finding a "sweet spot" for someone who might be interested in buying. Set to high it will never sell, be realistic and you should move it. Good luck!