In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Verona (F.A,I.R.) LX501 12ga Steel Shot yes or no

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
I asked this question on Shotgun World about a week ago but no response yet - the Verona forum is not that active now.

Can you use steel shot in an LX501? I would use a 3 notch choke (I think this yields a full choke pattern or close to it with steel and a modified pattern with lead)

Should there be a 'French Lily' proof mark on the barrels? If no Lily mark = no steel???

Is the 'French Lily' a F.A.I.R. 'thing'? I do not see this reference in my Sig Rizzini manuals only states not to use a tighter choke than modified when using steel

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would contact the importer/distributor. You can find it by cross referencing the importers markings on the shotgun, with the Blue Book. On modern made shotguns, there might be information regarding steel shot in the owners manual. I wouldn't rely on hearsay off the net, for something like steel shot. If you get bum dope, might screw up the shotgun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe-Snow but the Verona line (made by F.A.I.R.; Fabrica Armes Isadore Rizzini still in business and maker of the Savage Milano)was imported and sold by B C Outdoors now defunct (Bankrupt about 8 years ago - I think).I was hoping someone here would have some information about steel shot usage.I bought this shotgun on the auction side about 7 years ago and used it for skeet/trap and sporting clays it is chambered 3" w/ 28" barrels abd screw in chokes.

I would like to sell it but I do not know if I can say it is ok for steel shot so it can be used for water fowl
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Verona is 28 guage and the chokes were made for Verona by Briley. I had some additional chokes made for mine. You might ask Briley.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Maryland and I'm an avid water fowler. Don't see many (if any) people using full choke anymore. Mostly we shoot I.C. to mod. for geese, ducks and sea ducks. The reason I'm saying this is a lot of manufacturers will ok the use of steel shot with the exception of full or extra full chokes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses, I know about the useage of restrictive chokes and steel shot. I understand that modified ( when using lead) yields full when using steel. I have other Batista Rizzini O/U's and their manual says ok but nothing less than modified when using steel.

I did not receive a Verona manual when I bought it on GB and did not think about steel until I decided to sell it because I only used it for 'clay birds' as I am not a waterfowler. I found 'scraps' of a Verona manual on the net and it made reference to a French Lily (fleur de lis) proof mark for barrels proofed with steel shot; Batista Rizzini makes no such reference. I would like to tell a prospective buyer yes or no if the question comes up.

Thanks for your interest and comments