In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Knife question, Saburo

epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
I know this a gun forum but many of you have been helpful with other questions so here goes. I just bought an Arkansas toothpick style knife for $35 at an estate sale. It says "hade made by Saburo-Japan in script and then individually numbered in block letters and has a serial number The blade says "the warrior tm special formulated stainless. It is a nicely made knife with partial serrations on both sides of the blade and a composite wood handle. I have seen bowie knives made by this company (not for a while though) and I think it may be from the 70s or 80s. I like everything but the handle and am thinking about taking off the composite wood and making an antler handle, but, since it is numbered I just want to make sure I am not destroying anything really collectible. I have the original sheath, also nicely made but thin and kinda cheap leather stamped "warrior" in script. Since I paid so little for it I am probably gong to modify it any way I want, unless someone yells "don't do it dummy!" I have been unable to find this knife anywhere else (internet) although I did find a few things about the bowies I remembered. Any opinions or info are welcomed an greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for it. There are very few modern Japanese knives that are collector's items.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was an old samurai blade I'd worry. A modern blade - go for it, make it yours. I'm not sure what stinks worse to work antler or micarta.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    In a few hundred years, you would be committing a grave sin, but unless Saburo is a National Treasure, enjoy your knife as you will. Stainless steel is not traditionally a Japanese forte.
  • Options
    epakerepaker Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, this is what I expected but I didn't want to be that guy who tries to sell his antique gun and then finds out he shouldn't have wire brushed it and covered it in cold blue! Small chance that this knife would be the equivalent but now I feel much better. and to charliemeyer007 micarta is a much bigger pain in the * than antler imho! Imperfections in antler are "character" in micarta they are just ugly spots.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't do anything to it, until you run it by the pros at the http://www.knifeforums.com/

B. Levine is one of the mods there. He has authored a number of "Blue Book" type valuation guides for knives.

The reason I'm advising this, is that I screwed up so much stuff over the years. By ill advised customising/bubbaing. Only to find out later, I screwed the pooch. It isn't funny, seeing them Ben Franklin's, just disappearing into thin air.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Knives made by Saburo are common and a short visit to eBay will show you that they are not worth much.....usually less than $100 or so. Made a lot better than the junk from Pakistan but not worth big bucks.....looks like you got it at about halfprice. Saburo Bowies are under $100 for example.....so if it were mine and I wanted to play around with it, would go ahead[:)]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Gary said.

The Saburo knives are running from $25-100 on Flea-bay depending on style and condition. I didn't see on on there that was in the "Toothpick" style for a direct comparison, but I can't believe yours is worth more than all the others.

Anyway, there is no "secret" collectors value here for you to ruin by putting a new handle on there if you so choose.

IMO, the question isn't whether or not you'll destroy some collectors value by re-handling the knife. . .its whether or not this knife is worth the time and effort of putting a really nice handle on!