In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

please help! old double barrel blackpowder

67okeefe6767okeefe67 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
ok well i can email the pictures of it but i am not sure how to post pictures on here... what im looking to do is find a new stock because it is cracked, also i would like o know the history and quality of the gun.

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Right above the title of your thread are instructions for posting pictures: http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Please post clear, close photos and describe any and all markings.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]ypcm.jpg
    [img][/img]aj79.jpg
    [img][/img]2n3b.jpg
    [img][/img]ze0l.jpg
    [img][/img]efrh.jpg
    [img][/img]v9hm.jpg
    [img][/img]y1xm.jpg
    [img][/img]rmbi.jpg
    [img][/img]fh92.jpg
    [img][/img]05vh.jpg
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Although your pictures are very small, it is definitely Belgian based on the "ELG" stampings in this picture.

rmbi.jpg

There were literally millions of these made by various makers such as gunmaker Henri Pieper and there's no way to give you a history.

They have a very limited collector base and don't bring a lot of money in the market unless they are in excellent condition.

As far as a replacement stock goes, you might try to find a stock maker who can use the existing stock as a pattern but I wouldn't put much money into it. It's really best relegated to your den wall.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider repairing the existing stock. If the wood is sound and not oil soaked repairs could be done very cheaply DIY.

BigLoop22's last pic shows the nipples are in poor condition, I'd bet the bore isn't much better. Likely a nice wall hanger, would be it's safest function.
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    History must be supplied by the owner. Perhaps we could tell you when the gun was made and by who but its history starts when it was sold and only the owner would know that. Maybe the gun supplied meat for a farm family or it was used to stand off Indians in the 1860/70. No one would know that except the owner.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry for the late reply, thanks everyone i will look to find someone to try and remake the stock and try to repair the original stock and parts. it will stay on the wall but it would be nice to take out one deer with it just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 67okeefe67
    sorry for the late reply, thanks everyone i will look to find someone to try and remake the stock and try to repair the original stock and parts. it will stay on the wall but it would be nice to take out one deer with it just for the sake of it.

Do not load and/or shoot this gun until you have it thoroughly checked out by a gunsmith who is used to working on blackpowder firearms! This is not just a matter of your personal safety, but anyone near you when you fire this gun.
    Even after having the gun checked out, I would not load it with a full charge the first time around. Load a half charge blank into each barrel, fire, and work up the charge in at least two more increments, until you have a full charge of powder. This should be done in one shooting session.
    That should re-condition the metal so you can safely fire normal loads in the future.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First challenge will be getting those broken nipples out and replacing them. But before even doing that, get a rod or dowel stick and measure down inside of barrels to see if old loads are present:

These were commonly left loaded so that only capping the nipples was required, and accidents have happened when heat was applied.