In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best all around powder & Primer reloading rifle...

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
Opinions please on recomended powder and primer for rifel reloads...
Thanks!!)

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    What a broad question [:0] Small and large rifle primers [;)]
    That is the easy one.
    What calibers are you loading [?][?] Makes a big difference in powders [^]
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well without any info if I had to guess I would go with IMR 4895 and CCI Primers. I can make most any rifle go boom with them[:D]
    RLTW

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I prefer Federal Primers and Vihtavuori Powder; primers and powders to fit any need.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First off, there is to broad of a subject here. You need to specify what rifle and chambering.

Next thing, there is no ONE load for ANYTHING that is best...it all depends on what you are doing with it at any given time.

I suggest you post this in the reloading forum.

Best
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I usually use CCI primers, with some Remington, Federal, and Winchesters used on occassion.

Hodgdon powders are well represented on my loading bench, with some IMR's, too.

Sierra bullets are my preference.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Opinions please on recomended powder and primer for rifel reloads...
    Thanks!!)

This is like asking "what fuel should I put in my vehicle?".

Which powder is best FOR YOU is going to depend on what caliber(s) you want to load for, what you want to use the loaded rounds for (eg do you need/want match level accuracy?), what type of equipment you're using for loading (eg some powders work better with some kinds of powder dispensers than others), as well as both budget and availability concerns.

In GENERAL, with almost every caliber there is more than one type of powder and primer combination that "can" work, and with some of them there is a good number that can work, so there is no "one answer" here. Still, without knowing which calibers you're interested in loading for, nor what you want to do with the loads, its going to be impossible for anyone to to give you a specific answer to your question.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New @ this sorry to be so vague...
    7.7 arisaka and probably later on some 270 and 30-06 for hunting.

Just bought dies and a press for the 7.7 jap so that is prime for now.
    Hope that helps for powder and primer clues...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norma cases? CCI 200 Large Rifle primers or any LR you can find. First choice for powder 4831, then 3031, then 4895 for your 7.7.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:New @ this sorry to be so vague...
    7.7 arisaka and probably later on some 270 and 30-06 for hunting.
    All 3 of those use Large Rifle primers, I personally prefer CCI 200's. You would be well served with any powder in the burning range of 4895 to 4350, actually 4350 would work well for all 3
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about IMR 4064? Works well with 308, 30.06, 30/40 Krag, 303 British and similar cartridges. I don't know if it's "the best" but it always does very well.