In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can someone give an appraisal for this Model 12

sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
This is a Model 12 I've had for quite a while but don't really know its value. It's 12 ga, 3" for Super-speed and Super X. I havent measured the barrel but I think it's 32". Sorry for the poor image quality, my camera battery was dead so all I had was my phone.

dqcFuOOh.jpg
4WFW2dOh.jpg
4mVjHH9h.jpg
yp9KP7Bh.jpg
o99jRN9h.jpg
qND69hXh.jpg
H3gWpAHh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Shane,
    What you have, is a fine example of a field grade model 12 Winchester, in the most common gauge made. In my neck of the woods, it's worth about $400, if it has a 32" barrel it's worth about $450.
    Up until 1964, the model 12 Winchester was the most popular slide action shotgun on the market, everyone had a model 12. There where millions of them built, so, even though it is a pre 64 Winchester, the demand for field grade model 12s is not that great. The big money is in Heavy Duck, Trap and Black Diamond grade model 12s.
    I'm not trying to degrade your shotgun, it is one of the nicer used field grade guns I've seen lately, and may bring more than I have stated.
    W.D.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might check out the completed auctions. Model 12's were made for over 50 years, in great quantity. Lots show up on the auctions.

What jumps out to me is the pad, refinished wood, and gray patina on the metal. All negatives as far as collectors are concerned. Unfortunately, this would put it in the shooter category value wise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The pad is original to the gun. The duck guns had this red pad instead of the black plate from what I understand. This gun has been in my family over 40 years and no one has refinished the wood.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sweaver
    The pad is original to the gun. The duck guns had this red pad instead of the black plate from what I understand. This gun has been in my family over 40 years and no one has refinished the wood.

Unfortunately, you haven't been given complete information -- which is not uncommon when firearms are passed through families. The wood -- and probably the metal too -- appears to have been refinished.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pad as noted is correct on 3" guns. Looks original to me but still shooter grade ,,imo,,as above--400-450--
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, that gives me something to work with. My insurance wants a schedule of gun values so I have to itemize them.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better pic's needed but looks like a $400-450 to me. Priceless family heirloom, should be good for catching dinner for the next 10 generations at least.

You could buy this as a replacement for $700
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=383202738
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you have is the Heavy Duck Gun. The 3" magnum chambering makes it the Heavy Duck. They were very popular with duck hunters until the steel shot rule was implemented. Your gun should not be used with steel shot. Bismuth shot are an option but more expensive. When doing a search of completed, ignore the 2 3/4" model 12's as your gun is much less common and in equivalent condition should bring more money than the 2 3/4".