In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rock River LAR-8

redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
I having a problem with ammo chambering and ejecting from my .308 RRA LAR-8.

All the ammo is reloads. I used small base dies and all the ammo is checked with my Wilson check die. The dies are RCBS.

My big problem right now is extracting. when I manually close the bolt, it does close, but it does not sound quite right. When I pull the operating handle to extract the round, I can't pull it back by hand...I need to use a hammer to move the handle the first inch or so and then I can eject the round.

Some of the rounds work just fine, but some don't...it seems to be about fifty-fifty.

I have tried seating the bullets a little deeper, but that does not seem to matter.I have 3 different bullets loaded, but that does not seem to be the key.

I cleaned the bolt and chamber, but that did not seem to help either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trimming, deburring, and chamfering the case mouth is the answer. By using a FL, or SB die, you are moving LOTS of metal...and it all seems to congregate around the case neck/mouth area. Some will grow, more than other's, but they all need to be consistent for the best results. Trim them all to the same length, and chamfer inside and out. Do this after you size. Then when you crimp, crimp very lightly, if you crimp at all. If you heavy crimp, you can bulge the neck. If you have some cases longer than other's, and are crimping, you are your own worst enemy. All from tried and true experience in my younger years.

Best
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check the shoulder of the rounds that stick for a slight bulge. If there is one, back off the crimp die [;)]
  • redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rounds that stick have a bright ring where the shoulder meets the body...is this the trouble spot?

If it is, how can these rounds work OK in the check die?

Is there anyway to fix this without tearing down the rounds?

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redpete
    The rounds that stick have a bright ring where the shoulder meets the body...is this the trouble spot?

If it is, how can these rounds work OK in the check die?

Is there anyway to fix this without tearing down the rounds?

Thanks.

If you are using a SB die, they are taking it down to the smallest dimension possible. That ring could be from resizing. If it is not from resizing, then it is obviously from the chamber, and is a product of too heavy, or incosistant crimping, or both. in order to crimp properly, ALL of your cases need to be the SAME length, within 0.002-0.003". Otherwise you can get light crimps, and heavy ones. Too heavy, and it will bulge the shoulder, right where that ring is.

No, there is no way to fix it, except possibly sorting for the bad ones. You are still going to need to tear the bad ones down...consider it a ride on the learning curve...when reloading/handloading, shortcuts create more trouble than they eliminate.

Best
    edited November -1
    OK, I will pull the bullets, resize and trim. When I reload them, I will only put a light crimp on them.

Since all the rounds pass inspection with my check die, does that mean that the chamber on my LAR-8 is minimal?
    edited November -1
    I would think that your chamber is near minimum spec.

Do be careful when resizing a primed case, especially if you are decapping too. Make sure to wear all of your PPE...meaning eye, and ear protection, and a heavy aprom...like a machinist aprom...covers chest, and all the way to knees. I like to wear a face shield, as it protects my beautiful face too.

Best
  • md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I pulled bullets, resized, trimmed and reloaded a few rounds.

A few worked fine, but others still were hard to eject.

Sometimes a round that ejected fine one time, hung up the next...

I want to try some factory ammo, but can't find any.

A guy at work thought that maybe it was headspaced wrong...any idea on how to check this?

Any other ideas?
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of press was the ammo reloaded on ?? This may sound stupid but could very well have a bearing.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Dillion 650...had it since 2000 and loaded thousands of rounds with it.

I use it more like a single stage when loading rifle.