In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1885 winchester

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
Bert, this is for you. I was in a gun shop across the river in Hood River Or. today, and put my paws on a 1885 in 32 Rimfire. It's in beautiful shape, probably 85-90%, tang sight(Lyman?). I didn"t know they were made in that caliber. I have 2 Stevens favorite's in 32 Rimfire, one with a 150 # and the other with a 560 #. I would have bought the 85 if it would have been in just about any other caliber, shells are just to spendy and hard to find, probably why it's in such good shape. Anyway I thought you might like to know. Had it been a 32-20 or 38-55 it would have come home. W.D.

Comments

• dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT IS THE EXPERT OPINION ON THE NEW WINCHESTER 1885'S I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ANY ORAGINAL BUT CANT SEEM TO FINE ONE IN GOOD SHAPE FOR A PRICE THAT I CAN AFFORD. I WAS WONDERING IF A REPRODUCTION WOULD BE A GOOD START INTO THE WORLD OF THE 1885.
    edited November -1
    What could one expect to pay to have a 1885 winchester relined? Redline no longer will do a 1885 22.
    edited November -1
    I have a 1885 that has the original Lyman peep sight. I was wondering if it is operating correctly. It locks down in the back position and forward position which is to for forward for firing. Should it lock in a upright position or do you just set it up where you want it? It is the right one for the gun it is on. Seems to me there should be a stop for shooting.
    edited November -1
    I recently picked up my first antique Winchester. It is a low-wall Model 1885 in a 25-20 S.S. caliber, and has a #1 octagon bbl. Anyone else have one? I haven't see many discussed here or on the other sites in this caliber. I really like the gun and could use some help with values. This could also be habit-forming, even though I have never been much into the old stuff! HELP!!
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be a detent, if I am not mistaken. That is if you are referring to the Lyman #2.

Best
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Yes, there should be a positive stop for the staff in the vertical position.

If there is a positive stop, but it leans the staff too far forward, please explain how you determined that this is the correct sight, because it sounds like the incorrect sight.

OK, you at least have a tang sight for the Single Shot. Tang angle did not change (as far as I know, Bert??) between Single Shot variations.

Your Lyman tang sight has a problem. It can be repaired. If all else fails, I could do it. Might be expensive, as Lyman tang sight parts are scarce, and usually involve cannibalizing another tang sight.
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sight should have a code on the bottom as to which gun it is correct for. To see this requires removal of the sight from the gun.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The code should S or SB for all calibers except .22 and 30/40.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trap was close, but not quite correct.

S = all calibers (except .22 and 30/40)
    SB = .22 caliber and 30/40
    SC = Winder Muskets
    WM = Muskets (45-70)
    edited November -1
    Well, it has a SC on the bottom. Looks like I will have to be on the search again. It adjust nice, no broken parts. I somebody has a SB the want to trade, I would be happy to do so unless there is some way to fix the sight stop.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Trap was close, but not quite correct.

S = all calibers (except .22 and 30/40)
    SB = .22 caliber and 30/40
    SC = Winder Muskets
    WM = Muskets (45-70)

That didn't come out anywhere near what I meant to type.
    Note to self, no posting before second cup of coffee.